1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me buy a decent head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendlover, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Ok, heres the deal, im ordering a Avitar Neo 410 cab, and i want a head that will do it justice. I've got roughly $600ish dollars give or take (can be more) to work with. I looked at the Markbass lil mark II but heard that the smaller heads don't give you the same "balls" as something bigger like the ampeg stuff. Also tried some GK stuff like the 700RB-II but i don't know what im really looking for. I've got lakland joe osborn 5 and i play hip hop stuff, and in a wedding band so it's all jackson 5 and earth wind and fire and such. Any ideas of what will work to get that sound?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Myself, I'd go with the GK, but I'm a big GK fan and have used them for a long time.

Have you seen the brand new MB500? It looks pretty amazing with 350 watts at 8 ohms and 500 at 4 ohms and under 4 lbs. Everyone is raving about them and they've just started shipping them.

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I would take a look right here in the Classifieds section of TB.
    There are plenty of great deals all the time on there.

4. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    If you want to save some coin and still have a sound with "balls", check out the new Acoustic B200H heads at GC. Don't let the 200W rating fool you, they're "old school" watts match with ample tone slection.

My 2 cents,

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    But the GK has GK old school watts. :cool:

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

LMII all the way is my opinion.

7. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    No disagreement with the other suggestions. I had a GK400rb back in the day, loved it and sorry I parted with it. Just sharing how impressed I was by the new Acoustic, a bit of a sleeper until you actually try one:eek: And surprising for the dough. They are even coming out with a B600H late October early Nov. if anyones curious. Should be a monster for about 4 bills I think. The B200H goes for about $250.00.:cool:

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

8. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    yorkville amps sound great and fit your price range

Edit: now the yorkville heads are made by traynor