Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me buy a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Sans Amp RBI

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Sans Amp Bass Driver Di

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Avalon U5

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Demeter VTBP-201S

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Demeter HBP-1

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Kern IP777

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Alembic F1x

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  8. Ampeg SVP-PRO

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. Ampeg SVP-CL

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. EBS 1

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  11. Eden WP-100

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  12. Raven Labs USIP

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  13. SWR Grand Prix

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. I know there is another thread on the site for preamps but I have some more I'd like to add to the heap. I play country. I want to get a preamp that will deliver a good, clean, solid, tube, smooth sound. I'm going to include some solid state "tube emulators". I usually don't play with an onstage amp. I usually go direct and use the stage monitors. I know there are more preamps than the ones listed but here are the ones I'm considering. I play a MPG Level 5JJ. I have no preference as to whether or not is has a compressor. I may also occasionally use it for upright bass and acoustic guitar.

2. bobcooper

bobcooper

Apr 22, 2004
    Hey Jase:
    Some of those preamps listed in the poll, I've never had a the opportunity to play so my vote had to go to the F1-X.
    As you know I love the F1-X I have and I've always been able to get any kind of tone I wanted out of it. I think its such a simple circuit that you can't go wrong with it. I realize they're getting pretty expensive though. I bought mine used for about $375 about 4 years ago, and I've had Alembic clean it out, retube it and fix the DI jack since then. Excellent service by the way.
    Later
    -Bob

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Let's see "good, clean, solid, tube, smooth sound"?
    Wow! That sounds like a Dem 201S.

You might want to upgrade the stock tube somewhere down the road. The stock tubes are usable, but the preamp can sound better with really good tubes.

6. the basstasters.com site has really helped. Thanks!

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not sure what the reason is, but I wasn't impressed with the Dem 201S clips on basstasters. Luckily, I already had my 201S before basstasters came along with their preamp clips.
    The 201S and Bergantino cabs are a GREAT tonal matchup.

To me the best sounding clips on there are the Ag DB359 (which of course is not a preamp, but a head).

8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I agree! But was the DB 359 recorded through the D.I., so that just the preamp was used? or......?

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Pretty sure it was from the DI output.
    Aguilar's website doesn't show any outputs for the preamp section of the 359.
    The only way for it to make sense as a preamp comparison would be to have the DI set to be "Post EQ".

Todd V. could tell you for sure.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play country, and you won't find a smoother pre/DI than the Avalon U5.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'm with Munji 100% - for country and any style that you're wanting a clean, smooth, very warm sound (and you don't need TOO much eq) the U5 is your darling.

About the 359 - that was recorded using the DI out, just like all the preamp clips.

And regarding the dem 201 - It can sound much better than the clips, since they're completely flat. However, in it's beautiful clarity, it's also overwhelmingly bright.

I'd add the Read Purity to that list - it's a tone monster, and very smooth and incredibly tubey.

12. my current favorite 2 preamps are the Aguilar DB680 and Ashdown RPM-1