Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me buy my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris croc, Jan 5, 2002.

1. chris croc

chris croc

Jan 5, 2002
    I have been having double bass lessons for about a year and want to get guitar. I have about £250. Ive heard an Ibanez grs200 would be good but read reviews which say they have poor build quality. Also I have been thinking that getting a 5 string first or is this a big no no. What makes do people recommend?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i would recommend going out and playing several different basses, and in the meantime, save some more money...as far as to whether it's a 4, 5, 6 string or beyond, that's up to you. don't let anyone tell you that you have to _graduate_ from one bass to another. play them all and see what's right for you. if you use your search function, you'll see that this has been talked about quite frequently, and you can read about some issues that have come up and been resolved by those in your situation. it seems that some popular basses are the ibanez btb's and peavey cirruses. both are quite nice and play well. they both have 35" scales and have solid a solid b. the conklin gt 5 is another awesome bass, as are some of the cort models. the dearmond pilot pro 5 and the schecter stiletto are a couple other considerations. _usually_, basses in the lower price ranges have pretty floppy b strings (if you're going to get a 5'er) due to the neck construction, so that's something else to take into consideration...good luck!

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For 250 quids, I would recommend Yamaha BBN4(or BBN5 for that matter). You can get it for around £200 from thomann.de,
    and Yamaha has pretty much the best quality in cheap axes.

Which would leave you some quids for small practice amp like Peavey Microbass(around £60-70 at the same store)

There's really no reason why you could not start with a fiver, if you feel like you have use for that extra string then go for it.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah...and welcome to talkbass! this is a great forum in which to gather information (the best on the net as far as i'm concerned), as i'm sure you've seen...there are guys from all playing levels, even some pros, who are willing to answer any questions you may have. have fun :D

5. chris croc

chris croc

Jan 5, 2002
    thanks for the info, il be searching the shops.

6. I recomend the Ibanez GSR200 or other GSR's, great for biginers and also Xpirienced players.

But if Ibanez doesn't Xactly "float your boat" I would try out a few bassis in a music store and get the one that just "feels" right.

ROCK ON
    SCODI

7. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I have a Yamaha BBG4 SII which is basically just the active version of the BBN4 (more control over the sound). Also I think the pickups are different. I got it for about 400$ and I am very pleased with it. Yamaha is definitely one of the best manufacturers in that price range. If you feel compfortable with playing it you can't go wrong with a Yamaha.