1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me, buying a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vynns, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Evenin' all,

A few weeks ago I got myself a new job. Actually, you can leave off the "new" part, as I've never had a "real" job before. Whether or not I should be proud of being a contributing member of society for the first time or I should be ashamed for bending over and taking it from "the man", that's up for debate and not really what I wanted to talk to you about.

Here's the thing. Since I got myself a steady income, the first thing I wanted to buy of course, was a new bass. Alas, the first thing I bought turned out to be a beer, but I still want a new bass. Now, I was wondering if you could help me with this, kinda pointing me in more or less the right direction, you know? I'll tell you what I'm looking for.

I've always had a thing for simplicity on an instrument. That's why a precision is kinda appealing to me, with the one pickup, the passive electronics and the total lack of frills, gizmo's and other shenanigans. It's just you and your music, know what I mean? So, that would be a big point for me, simplicity (and preferably passiveness).

Furthermore, I need at least 22 (easily reachable) frets. This is where the precision fails. 24 is okay, 21 is not. This is not debatable, as I don't want to have to tune sharp just to be able to play some songs of mine. So. Yeah.

Let's see now...

This bass is going to be my main axe for a few years at least (I suspect), so comfort is also important. The instrument has to be well balanced, and preferably kinda light. Just comfy, so I could snuggle up with it on lonely nights.

Scale length should be no more than 34". Unless you guys know a great 35"-er that feels like a 34"? Also, I don't want 5 or more strings. Everytime I play a 5'er, it just feels... wrong. Just give me 4 strings. That'll do.

Ooh, and not unimportant: I intend to use this bass. So, My max budget is about €1000,-. Any more than that and the preciousness of the instrument will affect my performance on stage. :D

Oh, maybe I should tell you my playing style. I play a few different styles of music, from punkrock to classic rock to blues to metal to sweet, calm, melodic bass instrumentals. I mostly play with a pick and sometimes I finger (hehe), but I never slap, so close string spacing would not be an issue for me.

So, Any suggestions? I myself have considered, in no particular order:

- A precision type bass;

- Geddy Lee signature jazz;

- A Fender jag. (yes, it's active, but that can be bypassed. And it's sooooo damn sexy...);

- A Lakland 44-01 (I was going to keep the preamp on bypass. If it would give me trubbles, I was going to remove it entirely)

- A Peavey Grind bass. Alas, I found out it's a 35"-er...

- An Epiphone thunderbird (all white finish, yumyum). But I've heard it's terribly balanced. And it doesn't have enough easily reachable frets.

- Schecter Custom 4. Active, yes, but I've heard a lot of great things about this axe. So, worth considering.

Oh, by the way, I intentionally didn't tell you what tone I want. Seeing as I'm the person who started the "tone. really that important?"-thread a few months ago, It would be kinda hypocritical to do so. I figure playability is way more important.
    Not that I don't care about tone at *all*, it's just that I think when it sounds okay, it sounds okay. I don't feel like paying a million bucks more for a tiny little difference in tone. Or playing a horribly ugly or uncomfortable bass, just because the tone is a little bit more what I want than that other, super comfortable bass, you know? Most of you won't agree with me on that one, but hey, whachagonnado? If I buy myself a horrible sounding bass and get bored with it's sound after a few days, well, that'll be my own stupid mistake then. And at least I'll have an amusing "I'm-such-a-dumbass" story to post on here.

So, what do you and your enormous pool of combined experience think? Should I pick one of the basses I was considering to buy anyway? Or do you have another great suggestion that I've overlooked?

Oh by the way. There's no rush or something, I've still got a few months of saving money to do, so... ;)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I usually say, "go play some basses and see", but it sounds like you want one of my basses. You should be able to afford an American Deluxe P, maybe a slightly used one. It's a P bass, (mostly), and it's pretty simple, 3 band eq, and 22 frets. Also plays well, very comfy. I think you should try to find one, and check it out, at least. Might do the trick.

3. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Oh, there's a p with 22 frets? That sounds right up my alley indeed... I thought they only existed with 20 frets, maybe I should've researched a bit better before posting. Anyway, thnx for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Anyone else got another idea?