Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose: 2x12+6 ? 15+6 ? 12 + 10 ? HELP !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Hey experts, I have a serious problem: I can't choose what cab(s) I need !

1) I want a clear but warm and buttery sound. The typical Ampeg sound is not what I want, I like a clean and detailed top end PLUS creamy mids and fat lows.

2) I play rock, fingerstyle funk and a bit of blues and jazz. We don't do large venues, we play in our "den", on small parties etc. Maybe a bar now and then. I also do some jam sessions now and then. The band is drum, bass (duh), guitar, keys, sax. The guitarplayer uses small amps (50 watts or less).

3) My own 'music room' is one the 2nd floor. The chairs are steep. So.....I need LIGHT gear.

4) I don't want to spend a fortune.

I am leaning towards an amp such as the Markbass (small, light, affordable). Don't like the Vintage Tube Emulator thing, but in 'clean' mode it's fine. Or I may spend more and buy a used Glockenklang (I live in The Netherlands, Glocks are expensive but nothing like in the USA, and they keep their value well.)

Any advice on amps is welcome.

But the real question is cab(s). I can have a regional cab builder (he makes fine stuff) make a cab for me. Basically he'll build anything. So, assuming I need maybe 300 Watts, what shall I do?

2 1x12 cabs? (easy to transport)
    1x12 + 1x10 (maybe a better top end ?)
    1x15 + 1x10 (better bottom)?

Or a 2x12+6" cab ? (seems like a fine all round cab, but a little heavier)

Or.....one single 15"+6" cab? Teh 15"gives the lows, the 6" the highend, and it's still transportable.....

Or even 15"+6" AND a 12"+6" .....(seems like overkill for my applications)

Or...or ... ?

Advice is MORE THEN WELCOME. !!!

2. OK, my real question is:

Anyone play a 15"+6" ? Like it ?

3. Every 15inch speaker is going to sound different, as are 12s, 10s and 6s. I think it would be better to try out a cabinet to see if you like it before you buy it. Seeing as you are going to pay someone to build you a cab, I think a 15 + 6 should sound fine. You've got the 15 for the lows and low mids and the 6 should handle the high mids and highs. If you want "hi-fi", you might want to look at adding a tweeter or horn to get the ultra highs (think SWR or Eden 4X10 with horn).

4. If I were in your situation I would probably be looking very hard at a Schroeder 1210: compact, portable, light weight, great tone (from what the guys here say) and relatively inexpensive. I don't know what the EU cost is, but here is an Italian store link http://www.woodandtronics.com/site/home.php

Hey they are in north east Italy, relatively close to the Netherlands.

Maybe your guy could come up with something similar.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    everything is different. No 2 cabs from different manufacturers are going to sound alike even if they have similar speaker compliments.

Hopefully you can actually hear some of the cabs this builder makes before you decide.

6. If you go for a custom built rig, go modular.

Consider (4) 1x12, using the Omega Pro 12. These can be mixed and matched for the correct number of boxes to take to a given gig. Being 1x12, they are individually small and fairly light weight, about 50 pounds in Baltic Birch wood.

Omega Pro 12 in SBB4

You will need highs, and my suggestion is one Alpha 6 for each Omega Pro 12. I bought four Alpha 6 for a future project, and plan to stack them in a vertical array.

Alpha 6 Array

Weight is about 35 pounds in Baltic Birch. The 4x6 is wired series/parallel to provide a total 8 ohm load.

Bi-amping with an active crossover, such as the Rane MX22 is the recommendation. Active crossovers are not affected by impedance changes between 1,2,4 Omega Pro drivers on the Low Channel. The MX22 offers loudness controls for both Low and High channels for balance. If you run a single 1x12 with the 4x6, you may have to adjust the 4x6 down in volume.

The alternative to bi-amping is building one 12" and one 6" into each cabinet with a passive crossover. You won't have to purchase an active crossover or two-channel amp, but you will lose the desirable vertical array characteristics of the 4x6. You can build these one at a time, as funds and requirements permit.

The Omega + Alpha combination(s) will give you the smooth bottom and crisp top you want, in a manageable package. The vertical array of Alpha 6 will give you better (wider) distribution in the horizontal plane, and is sufficient to produce the upper natural bass harmonics.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why not ask the builder? No one will know the sound of his cabs better than him.

I say this because, of course, different builders cabs with the same size speakers are going to sound different..

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout pairing a 115+6 to a 112+tweet? But it really all depends on the speaker and cabinet design. As for the heads, you should try out an Ashdown as well. Their higher end stuff is (I believe) built in England so it shouldn't be too expensive, and it will be very warm and not terribly heavy.

9. Thanks all !

Peter

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Here's a short list to check out:

* one Schroeder 1210 (or 1212 if you like a rounder tone)
    * two EA WZ-112 (if your amp will drive a 2ohm load)
    * two Bag End cabs -- S15X-D (has coax tweeter) + S15-D
    * two Bergantino cabs -- HT112 + EX112 (or two HT112 if you can afford them)
    * two Epifani cabs -- UL112 + UL110

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hevos's amps and cabs look really really nice, and I've heard good things about them. I'm not so sure about the affordability...

Alex

12. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    This is gonna be my next rig. :cool: :cool: :cool: