Help me choose a 5 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Oct 11, 2021.

1. I'm in the market for a 5-banger!

I'm looking to buy used.

I used to play only 5 string but I've been on 4's for a while. However, my current band could really benefit from the lower notes.

I'm looking for something like an MTD, with those nice bartolinis or something similar.

String spacing 18-19mm

Scale length 34"

I was looking at Sandberg VM5 but I think I want that humbucker tone. I really like how deep and articulate those things can sound.

I prefer active/passive switch

Any recommendations on some models I should be looking at? It seems like all of the MTDs I see for sale are 35" scale.

Thanks!

Lukasonbass likes this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Bass Mods.

3. Sweet, those look nice and pretty reasonably priced

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    You want to look at the Maruszczyk Elwood L 5A-24. There's one on display at the site for The Bass Shop in Seattle. I'm not even in the market for a 5-string and I seriously want one.

5. I've been looking at that brand. They seem really nice. I will check it out, thank you

6. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    If you are/were considering MTD, you can get a brand new Maruszczyk for less, or even way less, and with multiple scale options available.

Have fun...I've wasted hours with this:

Custom Shop | Public Peace

7. Don't you think the Bartolini's have a way diff vibe though?

8. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    A little...maybe darker. I'd say go with a Delano humbucker. Maruszczyk doesn't seem to offer Bartolini, but it's a possibility. Adrian knows his stuff, he could point you in the right direction.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    This is one of the best bass sounds I've heard. Bass meister Ian King on an Overwater Jazz, with Bart pickups and a John East preamp.

10. Surely a Sandberg with a humbucker would be for you? I still find their basses to criminally underrated, they are really good and great value!

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    MTD Kingston series basses?

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  12. What's your price point?

Lukasonbass and MycooLeeyun like this.
  13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Sandberg has a dual humbucker bass, the TM-2. There's a coil tap too, so you can run it like a dual single-coil if I'm not mistaken. I think dual humbuckers look a little obnoxious, but those are just my eyes.

Another option is a G&L L-2500, which you can get well under $1000 as a Tribute series, which are well thought of. I saw a nice blue US model in the classifieds earlier today, no affiliation.

14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If your thinking of something that you might want to upgrade soon as you acquire it, Bart makes some nice pickups that are soap bar shaped, but PJ config if you like that tone.
    I have a 5 with Delano HE/Ss in it that i really like. with a series/single/parallel switch you can really get a variety of usable tones. Add a preamp and you can really change your landscape. I have an audere 2 band in mine Its a great match to those pickups.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  15. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Where to start.
    Humbucker and bridge spacing on a 34.

Soapbars or j plus mm pickups?
    Frets, 20, 21, 22 or 24.
    Body Alder, Swamp Ash, Another.

You might start at a BassMods but best to see one up close.
    Build is good as in Wood and paint but can be an unknown re playability ime.

However, you should be able to find them for around $1000 or less, and if it suits you, they are a lot of bass for that money.
    I would guestimate their new value to be around 1600 or so. Higher for a U.S build.

16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Take a look at Kiesel. For the cost of a P Bass you can get a fully customized P5, for example.

Mechanical likes this.
  17. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine

Sep 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Sire Marcus Miller P7 5 string bass or V7 5 string bass guitar.
    v7_title-small.png

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Many of the Ibanez SR Prestige models are worth your consideration. Not only great basses but great value!

Lukasonbass likes this.
  19. Up to $2,000 used

Lukasonbass likes this.
  20. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a sandberg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021