1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose a 5 string birthday present for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daffy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I have been trawling through the many threads on the forum covering 5 strings as well as having my own opinions, and now I need to hear from you guys.

I have a big '0' birthday coming up this year and Mrs Daffy has said she wants to give me a new bass. I also have a US trip to Orlando coming up just before said birthday and so am able to pick up a bass significantly cheaper in the US.

I love to funk (fingerstyle, but starting slapping) and currently have an '81 Ibanez Roadster 924 which I love to death. I also own an Ibanez Artist jazz guitar, so I'm an Ibanez fan.

Before the trip came up I was having serious GAS over the Ibanez BTB1205, which is about AU$1850 over here in Australia. But now that I'm going to the US I could get a US Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 of some sort (the QMT is lovely as is the Vic Bailey model!) for a similar price range, and I'm GASsing even worse!

So, my question is:
    - BTB1205 or a Jazz 5?
    - If a Jazz 5, which one? Deluxe or not? Active or passive?

Aus price for a Deluxe 5 QMT is around $3700, which is a big difference!

Any help or recommendations on both basses or shops in Orlando would be much appreciated!!

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Is that after the exchange or is that AUD? In any case I lean towards the BTB even though the Fenders you mention are excellent basses. I guess it boils down to feel and tone (they all look great). The Ibby has a smaller, flatter neck than the Fender which is a bit of a concern for me. After that it is tone. If Fender, I would definitely look at the Deluxe and in particular the VB bass. When you get to the US go play them and then decide.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    What he said. Play everything you can get your hands on; you might come across an even better deal on something else.