1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzlayaw, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Buzlayaw

Buzlayaw

Aug 10, 2008
    Hey everyone, I have decided to move to a 5 string bass and was wondering if I could get a few opinions. I currently play an Ibanez EDB600. I have only about $500 to $600 to spend max, so I have to be kinda careful choosing. Obviously I want the best quality and sounding bass for that price range. I have come up with a few I've been looking at to throw at you guys (for opinions):

Ibanez: SR 505
    SRX 655
    EDB 555

Schecter: C-5

I would like a thinner neck as I also suffer from small hand syndrome. :smug:

Thanks! :bassist:

2. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    IMO the best one for a strong B string and superb sound quality is the Schetcher Custom Stilleto, (natural finish)

for tone wise the Fender MIM jazz 5 is cool

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm a huge fan of the quality and playability of Schecters. Not so much of the EMG HZ's in so many of them, so my 2 Schecters now both have been gutted and had their pickups replaced with custom Kent Armstrongs. 2 Humbucker Soapbars in my Studio5, and currently in progress 3 jazzes in my new CV-5 purchase (1 jazz in neck, and 2 jazzes housed in a MM shaped cover wired via toggle switch for each jazz, or both in Series.)

The Schecter necks just seem 'right' to me, and Brian at LowEnd Bass Shop has hit my needs dead on each time I've taken one to him to have it's sound 'improved' upon.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Of the 3 choices you listed I prefer the Sr505. Thin fast neck, light weight so its not going to break your back, construction is good, the mahogany body gives it a fairly warm tone. The MK-1 preamp is ok but there are better ones you can get after market and make a modification should you want. Overall though the bass has a good tone for basses in this price range.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes, but 'I feel' the bart electronics in the 505's are almost to dark when put with the wood and neck. At least they've always seemed that way to me. Personally I'd rather tone down a bass and make it darker sound then I would fight to brighten up a bass.

But, I'm sure at some point I'll find a good enough deal on a sr505 that I'll end up buying one. I still think they're sexy.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Buy used! Check the Classifieds section here... lots of great stuff.

I, too, have small hands (I'm 5'5"). Although it is a 35" scale, I *love* my MTD Artist 5 - very thin, very comfortable, asymmetrical neck profile, with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System, too. I bought mine used for $425 + shipping on eBay.

With a bass in this price range, you might consider using some of your budget for mods, as well. A better preamp can do wonders for a mid-level Asian import bass for only $100~ more.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have to agree that of your choices that you posted the SR505 is your best bet. I would also suggest you check out the Peavey bass line. A used Cirrus or Millennium can be had for very little (under $800 and sometimes as low as $500). If you are budget strapped you may appreciate the Cirrus BXP and Millennium AC BXP.

Good luck on your quest.

8. have you looked into the Laguna Ocean TB75 bass?

9. Buzlayaw

Buzlayaw

Aug 10, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. Haven't made up my mind yet, but It looks so far that I'm leaning towards the SR505. Also thank you Rafterman for giving me a heads up on the Laguna Ocean bass. It looks real nice, and I'm still looking into it.

10. You can always browse a Yamaha RBX375, its an excellent bass for its price.