Help me choose a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 17, 2004.

1. I want to buy something used for under 750 dollars Canadian. What would be a good buy. I was thinking of like a Spector, maybe a Conklin? I know those are higher end basses but I like them. I'm looking at 4 strings or 6 strings.
  2. You should be able to get a euro spector for 750.
  3. You think I could find one of those orangy six strings for around that price or cheaper?
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You need a Fender Precision Bass. :)
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If my math isn't too far off, you can get one of those "orangy six strings", also known as the Amber burst Q6 for about $700-750 CDN brand new or around $450-550 CDN used. The Spector Q series is a very good buy. They are very playable and have an overall nice tone with a good strong output. I had an Amber Burst Q5 string for awhile before I upgraded to an Emerald Czech 5. The conklin you suggested is also a good buy. You can get a Conklin GT6 for about teh same new/used price as teh Spector Q6. The quality is about teh same- it just depends on what your tone preference is. The Spector is a little more modern or hi-fi sounding than the conklin, and it has a slightly thicker neck. I don't think the body is quite as comfortable on the conklin, but others would disagree.

I don't think so. Your thinking USA dollars there Circus. :) $750 CAN is only about $620 USA. Unless that bass has been beat to a pulp it will be very hard to find a Euro for that much. A nice used Euro 4 string starts at around $800 USA ($1000 CDN) most of the time, but there is the rare greaet deal. A 6 string would cost a couple hundred $$ more.

Hope that helps! :)