Help me choose a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveDrummer, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    My brother is 14, and is ready to upgrade from his squier bass to a "real" bass. We've looked at fender, washburn, yamaha, etc etc. He really likes the fender jazz basses and precision basses. What is the real difference in tone between normal and jazz basses? Thanks

2. I really don't think it's a matter of tone but a matter of comfort. The necks are not the same. I would have him pick. I had a jazz because, I played jazz. It's a personal thing. It's like finding your soul mate. Just play it for awhile and if you don't like it move on to the next one.
  3. A Precision has a fuller, more percussive type of tone, while a Jazz bass has a more focused and cutting type of tone.

Neither one is better, they're just different. The Jazz is more versatile in that it has 2 pickups, but, then again there are P-bass models that have a Jazz pickup added by the bridge.While it doesn't sound exactly like a Jazz bass, it sounds great.

You really HAVE to hear them live to form an opinion. Here's the Fender site.
    You can get an idea of their sounds by listening to the sound bytes, but, it's no substitution for playing one yourself.

Good luck to you and your brother.

4. I think some clarification is necessary here. A "Jazz bass" is just a certain model. There's a Jazz and a Precision (in this case), not a jazz and a normal bass- both are "normal" basses. I looked over some of the OP's other posts, and I just wanted to point out that a Fender Jazz bass does not necessarily have anything in particular in common with jazz music.
    Don't worry, though- it's a common misconception among non-bassists. I have a Jazz bass, and have had people ask me, "What's the difference between a Jazz Bass and a normal one?" or "So you must mostly play jazz music, right?"
  5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Like comparing apples and oranges. It's a personal decision. As a matter of sheer value, I recommend a USA made axe. Not because the MIM or MIJ basses are bad, just that USA made axe will retain it's value more over the long haul.
  6. re: bassman

how come ur recommending a mia bass when ur from japan? :D

anyway, as a reply to the main topic, i guess it would depend on the musical preferences of the kid. If he's into heavy music as his age might suggest, he might consider a bass with lower registers like a fiver. I personally like a fiver cause of its fleibility since i play a different kinds of music from heavy, to alternative to acid jazz. But a MIA fender might it be a jazz or precision is a good investment.