Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose a Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    First of all, I play in a rock/metal/hardcore/emo band. But I also play a lot of thumb and tap stuff when I am playing by myself. I want to get a cab that is tight and punchy, and I am hoping for something a little on the transparent side so that I can do my band stuff and still have the ability to pick up other gigs and play all of the stuff I love to play but don't use in my own original music (slap/tap). Right now I am playing on an Ampeg 810e or I go to my swr 410 and 115 pro series stuff. I prefer the ampeg to the swr. Lately I have played some mesa 410 and I liked them. You can hear my playing at http://www.myspace.com/beyondthefall

this is our old stuff, the songs Many Times, and Till Heaven best represent what I do in a band setting.

I am looking at the following cabs:

Genz- Benz 610
    Epifani 610
    Mesa 8x10 roadready

Let me know what you think about these cabs, or any others you might recommend but please be descriptive as to sounds as to why I should check them out since all of this is subjective. Thanks TB'ers.

Dustin

2. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    anyone, anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What would you be powering it with? Just wondering.

I had an Epifani T-610 for a little while. That'd be my recommendation. It's an awesome all-around cab, just a beast to transport (IMO). It's tuned relatively even as far as tone I think. The tweeter is by far the best I've ever encountered. As high/glossy as you'd ever want, otherwise bypass it for that old-school vibe.

The Mesa 810s. I almost ordered one of these once. The price ended up getting to me. Someday I might consider it again. I've really liked the Mesa cabs I've played through, and one day hope to play through an 810.

4. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    an swr sm-900 is my current amp, but I am switching that as well, right now the front runners for a new amp are the Genz-Benz GBE 1200 and the Mesa 400+.

5. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    I guess I should also say that money with most brands is not an issue since I can get most stuff at an extreme discount

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd suggest looking into GK.

I played a gk setup (1001rbII+ sbx410 & 115) and it does the rock and metal stuff good IMO.

I played through that setup with a MIA Jazz, it was really killer, bright and articulate yet still has enough balls to pound you in the chest.

7. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    thanks man I appreciate your feedback