1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Choose a Cheapie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Get the Squier Jazz V Deluxe

32 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Get the VM Jazz Fretless

65 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tomorrow I am due to pick up a Squier Jazz Deluxe V, but for $12 less, I could get the fretless Squier Jazz with the Ebonol board.

The advantages of both basses are that they are really great for the money. I have always loved fretless, but I never keep one. This Squier cheapie could well be the ticket. Jazz V would be a great active Jazz, and it could be a great platform for modding.

For background, I have two fives, a 2008 American Standard V, and a 55-02.

2. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    if you're gonna end up swapping out the pickups anyway, save the 12 bucks.

3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    You've already got two nice 5's. Why do you need another? Makes more sense to me to grab a different flavor. I'd go for the fretless.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Get the fretless, use the $12 to buy a pickguard for it.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't need another five. I just like the Jazz Deluxe neck.:)

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys. I think the fretless makes sense in terms of not being more of the same and providing a different sound.;)

7. +1 on getting the fretless!!! No need 4 another 5'er. Fretless-while I don't keep one-I use a EUB for fretless uprite stuff- They're handy for a diff. flavor & ONLY a fretless can give U that sound!

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I'm like you Cheese i like the deluxes neck alot. That is a nice bass for the coin. I also tryed and cant keep a fretless. I had the one you want and it was awsome but i guess i need frets. To lazy to learn proper fingering + bad fretless skills :meh:

9. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    FRETLESS-MY BROTHER!!! Mo' is less...Or is it that Less is Mo'?

:D

10. Cheese, you sound just like me, I've got an '08' MIA Jazz V and a Squier FVM Fretless. I bought the fretless because in the 34 yrs of playing bass I never owned a fretless and didn't want to spend alot of money on a new fretless axe, so I went with the Squier.

I gotta be honest with ya, I really like the Squier, it's built surprisingly well. I use roundwounds, and the Ebonol is holding up just fine. Yeah, it has a little bit of string groove, but absolutely nothing that effects the playability or sound of the bass. The Duncan pups that came with it buzz a little when you turn down the pups, but nothing that noticable. I modded my fretless by installing Bartolini 9J1 pups and OMG, does it sing. My buddy's got a Jaco Sig., not the relic, but the regular Jaco and the Squier sounds almost as good, not enough to tell the difference in a live setting, though. Seriously, my Squier FVM fretless sounds like a $1,000 stick.

Having the '08' MIA Jazz V, I know quality and the Squier's def as stick to be taken seriously.;)

11. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Both are great, but I BOUGHT the fretless.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't sound like you - you killed on that clip you posted!:cool:

13. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Are you talking about the Squier fretless that looks like Jaco's bass? If so, I'd definitely recommend it. I tried out all those Vintage Modified basses when they first came out. I didn't think much of the P, the 70s Jazz was nice, but the fretless kills!! I can't speak for the V, as I've never tried it, but I could see a person being quite happy with the fretless.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You gotta' have a fretless!!!! :D

15. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    +1

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd roll with the fretless, the Delux could come along a few months down the line, if ya really want.

I have both, btw.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I love my VM Jazz. IMO the pickups are a bit thin for gigging though. I found a set of MIA Jazz PU on eBay for $55.00 and now it is incredible. This must be the best $299 bass on the market!

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Go with the frettless. The neck on the 5er may be superb, but once the thrill wears off, it will be another 5er that will be neglected in favor of your Fender or Lakland.

The frettless, on the other hand is whole different bass tone that you don't currently have access to in your stable of instruments.

19. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    These guys are right...the Squier V is nice but not in the same league as the ones you already have.

The fretless will give you a chance to try something entirely different without sinking a lot of money into it.

I bought both of these BTW, returned the V, kept the fretless for a while, but ultimately couldn't really find a niche for it in the music I play these days so I sold it.

It's bloody amazing for the price though. The pickups are the weak link. They're OK, but kind of anemic and without much character. Drop in some good pickups and you're done.

20. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    +1 on trying the fretless. you are pretty well set with 5's.