Help me choose a color for my p bass please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drd07, Jun 10, 2003.

What color for the my precision?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2003.
  1. Vintage White w/ Black Pickguard

12 vote(s)
  2. 3 Tone Sunburst w/ Tortoise Pickguard

21 vote(s)
  1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I know a lot of people post threads like these, but if you wouldn't mind (again), could you guys help me out!?! I play mainly rock (indie, classic, a little modern, blues). I'm lovin' my main bass now, but I want a p bass! I'm probably going to go through fender japan, the ishabashi website and pick the '62 reissue fender precision. I'm kind of stuck on which color to choose. Should I get vintage white with a black pickguard, or 3 tone sunburst with the tortoise pickguard? Help!
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Sunburst. I think solid white basses are oogly.
  3. I've always liked the black pickguard and sunburst.....and personally, I think sunburst is sexier than white....
    white tends to be too ethnic( yea.I'm talking crap
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I like 'burst, white, or natural with a tortie guard, but white with a black guard is kinda dull (IMHO)--maybe white with a pearloid or black perloid guard, but not just plain black.

5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think sunbursts look killer with a black guard but either way, sunburst.
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    At Ishibashi, the white P's only come with a tort guard. My vote goes to the sunburst, that's what I got.

Edit: Sorry I wasn't too clear there. When I wrote that, I was specifically referring to Ishibashi's '62 Reissue (which is what drd07 expressed interest in). The white '70 Precision at Ishibashi is available with a black pickguard, but I myself would still most definitely go for the '62 model (the better one, not the "beginner" one).

Edit#2: I'd also like to add that while the picture of the sunburst '62 RI Precision at Ishibashi has a red tort pickguard, the '62 RI that I received from them last September came with a brown tort pickguard (which I like better than the red). If it makes a difference to you whether the guard is red or brown, you might inquire about it before ordering so you are not disappointed.
  8. Sunburst guitars are like "woody" station wagons (wood-grain styling on cars). Bleck!!

Ug. Fugly.

No sunburst for me, thanks.

Anything (including white) is a better choice IMO.

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i think the sunbursts look like thy're having more fun :)
    white with black seems lie formal wear. i'd go sunburst, but even better, if i had the choice i'd go natural with a black pickguard.
    have fun either way :)
  10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I voted for the vintage white with a black pickguard, but really I think that you should get vintage white with a tortise shell pickguard. I love that combo.
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    white and black....... classic
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of the two, I'd say sunburst with a tort pickgaurd and a rosewood fingerboard.
  13. Automatic_Man

Apr 3, 2003
    you're all wrong... you should go for the vintage white, but with a red pickguard... there, I have spoken.
  14. What fingerboard are you getting?

If it's maple, I'd go with the white, but if it's rosewood, then I would definately go with the burst. Overall though, I think I would prefer sunburst with rosewood, but that's just me:)
  15. Sunburst with land turtle pickguard is the way to go. I like sunburst because it gives the instrument a "finished look," as though someone took the extra time to make it look like a violin.

White goes well with an unlined fretless board, very eye catching.

16. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the replies! I think that I'm going to go for the 3TS w/Tortoise pickguard. Can't wait for it to arrive.
  17. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree with the vintage white and tortoise guard. Very classy!:bassist:
  18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    White's my favourite color so I pick white.