help me choose a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilikepie, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003

I am really keen to add a jazz bass to my collection, so for my next bass purchase these are the models that I am considering.

JB62-75US (MIJ) or JB75-90US (MIJ)

Which of these would you recommend and why? At the moment I am favouring the JB62-75US, although just a month ago my mind was set on the JB75-90US. Personally I don’t really want to pay the money required for a MIA re-issue (amazingly overpriced in Australia) but if it's really worth it (probably not ) then I would consider holding out for awhile.

All of the feedback I have heard about MIJ Fenders has been really positive, but unfortunately I can’t play any of the models available from Ishibashi before purchase. Because I have no way to compare them to the MIM and MIA jazz basses that I have played I would really like to hear feedback from anyone who owns or has tried one.

If you have any good pics of a JB62 or JB75 please post them too.

BTW I really want classic jazz bass growl and the bass must be suitable for gigging/recording.

FWIW I currently play in a 3 piece alternate rock band, enjoy playing funk and jazz in my spare time so ultimately I want a bass that will suit these styles. Like I said, at the moment I am favouring the JB62 because I’m worried that ash will be too heavy and sound trebly (I prefer a warm rounded tone) plus I also prefer the finishes of the JB62(minor point I know).

Sorry for the long post.

All suggestions more than welcome.

2. I would suggest the JB62-75US, because, it has the rosewood neck with, the vintage look and tone.

I prefer rosewood necks on fretted basses, I think they sound warmer.

You can cover just about all styles of music with this bass and, it will do well in any recording situation.

3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Well, I for one prefer maple fretboards, so my vote goes to the other one.

But it really depends on your own preferences:

If you are looking for a good rock/funk bass with snappy attack and fat lows, the maple fretboard is right.
    But if you want classic fender jazz growl with punchy low-mids, the rosewood fretboard should be your choice.

Aw, what the heck; get them both, each one is good in its own way. :)
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Those are two nice looking basses. I would want both! :D I agree with the comments already. The fingerboard will make the biggest difference in sound. I would get the maple if I was looking for a Marcus Miller slap sound or the rosewood for warmer fingerstyle sounds. I would get the '75 myself. :bassist:
  5. miles reid

miles reid

Oct 13, 2003
    hi there, i'm from singapore. i had try out the jb75-90us in a local guitar store. in the end, i decided to get the MIA '75 reissue cos i don't really like the feel of the japanese reissue . although the '75 price is quite costly (had to sold off my MIA standard jazz and some stuff) but i can said it's worth the $$ spent. maybe you can consider holding out for it ^__^
  6. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003
    Now im even more unsure which one to get :(

Anyone else got a preference?

Kevin O'Connell: I will do a bit of research into the lakland, thanks for the suggestion.
  7. The Lakland will cost more than either bass you listed above. The Lakland is a excellent choice.

You may wish to consider the experience of those who have made suggestions to you, their experience and what kind of basses they own.

Then make an informed decision for yourself.

8. I recently won a Sunburst'n'Rosewood MIJ '75 on eBay, and I should have it in a couple of days.. I'll post my thoughts then.
  9. Well, my MIJ '75 RI arrived on Friday.

Got it home, stuck a Badass & some new strings on it... a quick trussrod tweak and I gigged it that night.

It's fantastic. It looks great (IMO), it's well built, has a good balance and an even, warm, punch tone. Very 70's J.

All I could ask for, really!

More pics here...

10. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i like the '75 cuz the Ash body and fretboard inlays.

i've tried out both basses, and they both play and sound great.
    definitely comparable to MIA imo.
  11. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I have a 75 MIA Jazz with rosewood neck on trial and I am almost certain to buy it. The ash body is very light and makes the attack of note perfect for slapping even with a r/w neck. It is worth the extra money compared to the MIJ IMO.
    All I have to do now is sell 2 guitars and some speakers to raise the cash. :meh: