Help me choose a laptop! (details inside)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Hello crew,
    i am in a bit of a debacle.
    I have some money coming to me, so i am going to use it for school, and by school i mean a laptop.
    anyways, I have started looking at laptops, and i am swamped. My spending limit is about 1,000 dollars, but i can go over if i have to.
    So i know a bit about computers, and i have looked at as many options as i can, but i was just hoping someone could provide some real-life info. I have heard things about some of the bigger companies (like dell) who have high spec'd computers, but i hear they use poor quality parts.
    right now my front runners are
    Averatec (maybe the 2100 series, but they all look nice) and
    the HP L2000 SE (the lance armstrong edition)
    I am planning on using my new laptop on recording (with a line 6 toneport) and most importantly internet and typing and powerpoint (you know, all the school stuff), but no games.
    another thing i wonder about is 64 bit processors. I kinda want one, because this is going to have to last me a while, and my friend is telling me that 64 bit is the future, and especially since vista is coming out soon, he says i should get a 64 bit processor...oh yeah, and he says AMD is better then Intel...does anybody have actual proof of that?
    anyways, I'd like some opinions if i could, I have read a lot of reviews, and i think that the folks here on TB are just as knowlegeable as those internet reviewers...

Thanks for the help!

ps, if you want to chime in on a certain company or model to look at that i didn't mention, feel free!

2. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Does your school have a purchase program? Some schools get terrific discounts, although it tends to cut down on choices...
  3. I think it's all primarily a matter of opinion, but I am partial to the AMD stuff.

With that being said, I am totally partial to the IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. They use Intel chips :eyebrow:

I currently have a newer ThinkPad and I love it. I deal with the Intel CPU because I won't buy any other laptop.

Again, all a matter of opinion.
  4. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    I suggest you check out Newegg's selection of laptops.
    You should also check out a branch of Tom's Hardware Guide for their laptops to help you decide.
  5. i think that my university has dell discounts...maybe i'll look at the XPS...
  6. If you get the Dell, get the extended warranty.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm partial to my Compaq Presario 2500 (something something)...

I'd also check with family and friends...I got corporate discount pricing though my brother in law (he's in the investment field) which saved a bundle. Lots of companies offer their employees and their families good discount programs.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I second Newegg! I have 2, a Sony Vaio and an Acer Aspire 3000. I take the Acer out on tour with me, and I like it alot more than my Sony. I got the Acer @ for 899.00.

9. Extended Warranty? How can I lose?!?!!!

10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You'll need it.
  11. I purchased a computer for college on about the same budget. Looking back I would say having a laptop is overrated. I bought mine thinking I would carry it everywhere and I rarely leaves my room. If you want to be able to record music I would say you need to buy a desktop with your budget. I was only able to buy a dell 1100 inspiron with a celeron processor (avoid at all costs). I recently upgraded my RAM but cannot mess with the video card among other things. If you want the computer to last a long time, the desktop is best becuase you can buy better components for your money and easliy upgrade parts.
    ... And never, ever, buy a Gateway!:spit:
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK guys.....don't laugh.....

I was in WalMart this morning picking up an XBOX360 for my son. While I was waiting, I noticed they had some laptops on display. Being the geek I am, I checkd them out. I was surprised to see several really nice laptops in the $1000 and under range. I wouldn't consider them to be "can't pass up" prices, but I found a couple that would work for you.

HP Pavilion DV4308wm . It's $1200, but man is it loaded. 1GB of RAM, 100GB hard drive. Very nice I thought.
    Toshiba M45-S2692 . I spent the most time with this one, it is really nice. It also fits right in your price range.
    Balance 17" Laptop. I've never heard of these, but it was nice. Not the Centrino that everyone is buzzing about, but it is good for multi-media.
    eMachines W4620 . Here's one for you AMD guys. I don't have time to keep up on all the names AMD comes up with, so I don't know if the Turion is a good processor, or equal to the Celeron from Intel. It was a nice laptop, and leaves you room after you buy it for some food. :D

I'm thinking about buyong one today. I have a sister-in-law who works at a WM distribution center, so I get a nice discount.

13. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite L25 and love it. It wasn't my first choice, but I've been totally blown away buy it. In fact, it's replaced my desktop in my everyday tasks.

It's a fairly stripped down machine, so I had to pay for a wireless card and I also threw two 512 sticks in it. All in all I think I've got about a grand into it after all the extras I've purchased.
  14. that makes sense, but i also spend quite a bit of time in several friend's dorm rooms, and we all record (i'm buying a toneport for this one too :) ) so we will record in his room or my girlfriend's room because my roommate doesn't really make it that easy to record...he turns his music up loud, and turns the tv on...blah blah roommate stuff...
  15. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    64 bit IS the future for computers, but not for awhile. AMD gear is made for gaming, which you said won't be on the laptop. to my knowledge 64 bit processors can process twice as fast, but you won't be needing it, seeing as how i can run Half Life 2 on my 32 bit.
  16. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I thought that at most University's that if you bought through there buying plan that the University would support it?

Saves you warranty cost.
  17. I decided against dell when I bought the lappy I'm on now. Lots of people with horror stories about customer support. You *need* the 3yr waranty with dell, because if anything goes wrong it'll cost you. A lot. A friend of mine broke the screen of his dell after 1 year and the cost to replace the screen (the backlight only, actually), was estimated at at least 500€ (about the same in $).

I'm pretty wild about acer. Good laptops, good warranty. The Aspire series (such as the 5020 I own) has an AMD 64bit Turion. It's warmer and more power-hungry then a centrino, but it's faster too. Battery life is 3.15 hours for office use.
  18. what do you mean "support it" ?

and JDT, that's why i don't really want to get a dell, i have heard that some of the bigger companies that offer cheap computers with really high specs may use cheaper components, which in your friend's case broke after a year...i am looking for a solid laptop that uses quality parts that don't break down!
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Then get out of the $1000 and under price range. :eek:

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Get one of those cool apple laptops. Those things are cool.