1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose a lightweight bass. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by central cal guy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. central cal guy

central cal guy

Jul 18, 2007
    I know people have asked this question probably many times before but..... first time I have asked it. I am looking to buy a new bass guitar and I really want something LIGHTWEIGHT (the lighter the better), good balance, full scale neck, 4 string, SOLID BODY (not acoustic), new or used, and under 1,500.00. Everything else I am open to. I thank all of you for your replies in advance.

AL

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Ibanez Sr500,super light 500.00 new,Bartolini's,even less used!:hyper:

3. l_2fe0e33e45309be10c1f8253e43e6a16. my Lyon 4 string weighs in at a feather-light 7 pounds. I recommend it if you can get your hands on it.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I wound up building my own and now have two P style basses just under 7 lbs. each.

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    there's a Zon in the classfied right now under 7 lbs. I'd buy it but it has a high gloss neck which can get sticky.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Look for one of the old Guild Pilots. Those things were incredibly light, at least mine was. And mine should have been heavier than average. It had a solid maple body. They also have some of the fastest necks out there. They can be had pretty cheap nowadays.

Generally the Pilots I've played have weighed less than just the body on my Jazz bass did.

7. Hohner B2A? (the cricket bat one) Steinberger copy - light as a feather, active, 24 frets and never goes out of tune!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if light is really important to you, go with a Basslab bass. They weigh, what, 4lbs?

Beyond that, if it's a $1500 limit, look for a used Mike Lull. Those things are eerily light.

9. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That's what I was going to suggest too. A light weight Zon Sonus is super comfortable and they generally balance pretty well on a strap. They sound and play great too. Another good choice is the Zon VB4 Vinny, but they're pretty scarce on the used market.
    Don't let the gloss finish on the neck worry you. It's a fast and simple job to knock the gloss down to a nice matte finish with a fine grade abrasive pad. I wouldn't recommend steel wool or sandpaper though.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Try a Fender American Deluxe Jazz with the ash body. Some are amazingly light. I had a '99 Am. Dlx. Precision that was well under eight pounds, and the Jazz body is even smaller. Otherwise, I think the used Mike Lull is a great recommendation.

11. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    i purchased my 7 pound rickenbacker 4004cii for $1600 (used),but absolutely mint,and it seems like it is worth twice that price. they have gone up a bit in price this past year,but if you can find a nice used one,it's a great bass!

12. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I just saw that rondomusic.com has the Douglas beatle-bass for 149.95. Have never played one, so don't know much about them...price looks good.

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1

My Fender Am Dlx Jazz is alder and its the lightest bass I've ever had. Just gigged with it last night and it feels great, it's so easy to play and sounds great! Even though the ash version is probably lighter, the alder version is plenty light as well and I've always preferred the tone of alder basses to ash for some reason. Ash looks better though. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Elricks are insanely light.

or maybe a Roscoe.

can you tell i'm GASsing for some serious boutique action?

15. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Check out a used Dingwall Afterburner. My 5 string is well under 8 lbs, cost around $1500 used, plays, and sound amazing.

16. waterdog

waterdog

Nov 14, 2007
    Treasure coast
    Parker, Steinie, Fender basslite

17. Dano Shorthorn longscale reissue

18. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Also remember there's not a whole lot of weight issues that can't be solved by a better strap like a comfort strapp or just a nice wide padded levy's. Unless you have some preexisting shoulder/back problems.

[rant]You see lots of people playing with big, heavy basses like stingrays slung in some tiny nylon strap and you know it has to hurt. Screw the tough-it-out attitude, why not have your cake and eat it too - you have the nice instrument, why not enjoy playing it? [/rant]

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Try a Longhorn shorty.
    I wish I had a acurate scale. They can't weigh 5 lbs.
    Such a woody and punchy tone

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Used Elrick or Fender Aerodyne.