1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose a low cost, mid size rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigDaveyTwinkle, Sep 17, 2010.

1. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    Not looking for a stage rig, or power, just enough to get over a drummer at home and maybe show up at a stranger's house without being laughed at/looked at as a newb.

Down to these mix and match options:
    Acoustic B410, 8 ohm cabinet
    Peavey TVX 210, 4 ohm cabinet
    Hartke 2500, 250/175watt head @ 4/8 ohms
    Eden WT330, 420/330/200 watt head @ 2/4/8 ohms

If cost is a consideration, I can get into the Hartke/Peavey for $400. The Eden/Acoustic option will run $630.

Or is there some other combination of these items you would suggest? Eden/Peavey, maybe? :confused:

Thanks in advance -

BDT

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    For a head and cab rig, I'd suggest your also looking into a Gallien-Krueger MB-200 head, 200 watts at 4 ohms, 2 lbs., new...$249.00 powering one or two 8 ohm Avatar cabinets. www.avatarspeakers.com
    A Avatar 210 Neo cab sells for new...$319.00 plus shipping.
    I'd also suggest lookin' at Galliens new light weight combos.

3. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    Any opinions using the items in the original post?

A couple of these wish-listed items are used in the stores and I think I am going to get more bang for the buck used than new...

4. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I can't say ive played any of those pieces, but I'm surprised to see a 4 ohm 2x10. I prefer to stick to 8 ohm cabs so I can always run 2 safely, since I play GK heads that dont go below 4 ohms. If you have a head that will do 2 ohms then youre probably ok.

Id second taking a look at the new GK MB stuff. Not a lot on the used market since they are all brand new in the last year, but I think if I was starting fresh Id get a 2x10 or 2x12 combo, or the MB500 with any ultralight cab. I dont think youll ever 'want' for more power with either of those options.

5. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would actually go used. check http://www.craiglook.com or http://used.guitarcenter.com. there are some killer prices there. maybe try an SWR Workingman's 4004. it has 400 watts at 4ohms, and you can pick a used one up for around $200-$250. also, it is reliable as hell. bomb proof.

6. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    :bag:

psst...I have a Hartke 3500 in good shape for sale in the classifieds right now. 240W@8, 350@4. :D

7. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I'd find some used Peavey gear that falls in your price range. If anyone laughs at you for playing through a Peavey, just know that they are uneducated idiots. Perhaps you can sarcastically apologize for playing gear that is made in the USA and bullet proof and that you really didn't feel like covering the cost of import fees like other brands tack on to their prices.

Used Carvin B and BX series are also a great head/amp that you can pick up used very cheap. Also made in the USA and are considered another reliable workhorse.

8. The acoustic stuff sounds good - I'm curious, now that they have been around for a while, how they hold up. . . for low cost, Hartke seems the way! I used one of there amps/cabs at a rehearsal space that looked like it'd been through hell and it sounded great ...

9. I had good a experience (i.e. finding and then being a source of good deals) with Hartke. I'd say take as much time as you can. Great deals do just "pop up." It's a matter of timing.

I got this rig for $300 and then tried to resell it for $250 after a good deal on my TC Electronic rig presented itself.

It's a matter of hunting and timing.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Of course I am biased, but honestly, you can't go wrong with Hartke. Not only is the customer service amazing, but the products are well built and are work horses.

I agree with the posters, look for some decent used stuff. You can find some great Hartke heads out there as well as some XL cabs. Nothing says "not a newb" like a slightly worn Hartke 4X10 paired with a new Hartke LH500 head.

11. Between that stuff, I would go Eden/Peavey and start looking for another Peavey 2-10" or 1-15". The Peavey 2-10 TVX cabs are voiced to be more midranged. This will sound strange by yourself but will cut in a mix of drums, guitars, etc.

Set the cab vertically so the 2-10's are on top of each other to get it closer to your ear.

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

13. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    It's all over now, as the song says.

I went Eden/Peavey for $470. before tax. I have owned the Hartke LH500 and enjoyed it in the last band I played with. I have owned Peavey off and on for 28 years, and always found it bulletproof. I played the Eden Wt330 through the Acoustic B410 (8 ohms) and it was nice, mainly a lot of projection from the 4x10s but the Eden really came alive through the 4 ohm Peavey 210 TX. Just amazing articulation which is, I guess, what I call frequency response. The Eden may be the nicest head I have ever owned, time will tell ...

Thanks to all who responded -

BDT

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I like the Hartke head but would stick an Avatar 212 Neo (4 ohm) underneath it. A few more gets gets you more power though. Try Peavey Tour 450 head instead. Now your cooking.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021