Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose a neck,please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonrutoo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    hello.
    i'm finding my guitar,a Gibson SG Standard,has a more comfortable neck to me than my Ric 4003.does anyone know the difference in neck contour?
    Gibson specs-
    thickness 1st fret:0.818"
    thickness 12th:0.963"
    nut width:1 and 11/16"
    12th width:2.062"
    the Ric site only reported nut width(1 and 11/16)and 12th fret width(wider than SG).
    -my reason for asking is that i'm looking to have built a custom short scale.
    any elaborate details welcome.thank you in advance for your time and attention.

2. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    P.S:i forgot to mention i'm a lefty,which limits my selection,thus.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Keep in mind that even if you had an identical contour to your guitar neck the feel would still be different because bass strings have a larger diameter, and are also held at a higher tension, requiring more force to fret. So firstly, the same neck profile will yield a slightly different (more open) hand position; and secondly, even if the hand position were the same, the feel would be different, because more muscle force is required.
    Add to these elements the fact that even a short-scale bass has a scale that is 5" longer than a guitar, so the feel will be vastly different on that account also.