Help me choose a neck,please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonrutoo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    i'm finding my guitar,a Gibson SG Standard,has a more comfortable neck to me than my Ric 4003.does anyone know the difference in neck contour?
    Gibson specs-
    thickness 1st fret:0.818"
    thickness 12th:0.963"
    nut width:1 and 11/16"
    12th width:2.062"
    the Ric site only reported nut width(1 and 11/16)and 12th fret width(wider than SG).
    -my reason for asking is that i'm looking to have built a custom short scale.
    any elaborate details welcome.thank you in advance for your time and attention.
  2. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    P.S:i forgot to mention i'm a lefty,which limits my selection,thus.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Keep in mind that even if you had an identical contour to your guitar neck the feel would still be different because bass strings have a larger diameter, and are also held at a higher tension, requiring more force to fret. So firstly, the same neck profile will yield a slightly different (more open) hand position; and secondly, even if the hand position were the same, the feel would be different, because more muscle force is required.
    Add to these elements the fact that even a short-scale bass has a scale that is 5" longer than a guitar, so the feel will be vastly different on that account also.