1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose a new Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Hammer, Feb 3, 2006.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I need help from the vast amount of experience that can only be found at talkbass! I am wanting to replace my Peavey 4X10 with something else. I want a cabinet with a little more clarity and punch to it. The Peavey to my ears just sounds a little muddy and unfocused. I really like a tight growl with alot of punch. I like the bass tone of Entwistle and Geddy Lee. I've heard that Bergantino are good cabs. thanks for helping me out. For reference this is my current rig

Basses:
    Status Stealth 5 string: I use this bass probably 90% of the time

Alembic Mark King 5 string

Amp:
    Ampeg SVP pro all tube preamp into a Peavey GPS 2600 power amp

Cabinets:

Peavey 4X10" (the one I'd like to replace)
    Accugroove El Whappo

2. I think I have discovered the source of the problem. :ninja:

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Actually the SVP through the el whappo sounds great but I'm open to suggestions

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I wonder if that Schoroeder cab with the 2X10" and the 12" would be a good choice?

5. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I went from a Peavey rig to an SWR 4 X 10 cab. I bought it used and apparantly mine is the first generation goliath series. I gained mountains of clarity and definition over the peavey stuff.

I'm powering the SWR with a Genz Benz head with the tube pre amp. When the Tubes are pumping the SWR just growls!