Help me choose a new cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Apr 16, 2018.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Hello fellow TBers, I have a cabinet dilemma and I felt I would be best served bringing it to the GAS group therapy sessions for advice.

I have been using a markbass 410 8 ohm with a hartke lh1000 to great effect. However I recently acquired a darkglass m900 and while I absolutely love it, it only pushes about 500 watts through the 8 ohm cabinet and the volume drop is noticeable. I am competing with two very loud guitarists and while it works for now, i noticed the cabinet popping when i slap or play particularly aggressively, something that was not an issue before I switched. Suffice it to say I am in the market for a 4 ohm 900-1000W cab that meets the following criteria.
    -lightweight. Markbass was great for this.
    - handles low frequencies (i play a 6 string bongo so my low B is gnarly)
    -good tone and sound (subjective I know...)
    - under $1100. I plan on selling or trading the markbass cab and the hartke to help fund it but I don't want to break the bank.

Some brands I'm considering.
    Markbass 410 4ohm. Lightweight and decent tone and low end. I liked the current 8 ohm but before I just buy another I want to weigh my.options.

Barefaced super twin- I've heard great things about these and I don't really need a tweeter that badly to get the big twin. Or maybe I do?

Darkglass 410 it was made to pair with the m900 but it's relatively new and somewhat heavy. Not sure how it will sound either.

Open to other suggestions but Im leaning towards the barefaced. Thanks much

Carrots

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you think you're interested in Barefaced I'd suggest you check out Audio Kinesis and MAS cabs as well.

TheMaynorD likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Sounds like adding another 8 ohm 410 is what you need. Adding more power to your existing cab is not going to make it much louder.

4. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I was looking at replacing it not adding to it. I prefer to have a single cabinet after playing the 2 cab game for a long time.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    F212?

NigelD likes this.
  6. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    The greenboy is around 50 lbs. Id prefer the lighter super twin...

7. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Why not return the Darkglass (since it is not loud enough for your band), keep the Hatke, and buy a Darkglass preamp pedal?

If your heart is set on keeping the Darkglass head, your best bet is to get a matching 8 ohm Markbass 410 and rock the 810 stack.

instrumentalist and backin82 like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Mushroo likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This was my first thought exactly. Some light compression and an HPF should tighten up your sound. The volume difference from the LH1000 to the Darkglass should be zero.

According to the manual, the LH1000 does 500W at 8 ohms.

All that being said, see if you can locate an early Epifani UL410. I own one and it is ridicukously loud and fat. And, for a 410, it is really a lightweight.

Stumbo likes this.
  12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm not sure you can have it both ways. If you want to turn all those watts into (clean) sound, you're gonna need to move more air, and that means more speaker area. Switching to another 4x10 that is 4 ohms or that is marginally more efficient isn't likely to make as big a difference as you are hoping for.

Stumbo likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Also get your cab closer to ear level or tilt it back to hear what's really going on.

If you haven't already, go FOH during sound check to hear how you sit in the mix.

Lobster11 and two fingers like this.
  14. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I already have the preamp pedal. The amp is plenty loud, it just needs a matching cab. The idea of two MB 410s stacked is very tempting..... but Im trying to keep my rig light. If I can find a deal I may consider it.

15. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    It is? I misunderstood your question, apologies.

16. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    The LH1000 does 750 bridged at 8 ohm. I do use compression already. Ill tweak the sound a bit and look into an HPF. My board is already cramped, but adding an effects pedal is always a great day

two fingers likes this.
  17. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    No worries, I think I failed to phrase my issue correctly, as several people have garnered the idea that the amp isnt loud enough.

To clarify: the amp master volume stays around 9 o clock. I could crank it higher, but it would likely turn to mud or hurt the cab. ( I know that's a hot issue) The impedance of the cab is cutting the amps power. It would generate a lot more watts with a 4 ohm. I may try it through my guitarists old bass can and see if running it through a 4 ohm cab helps, or if his cab is 8 ohm, stacking them. But I also think going from MB to a barefaced would be a great upgrade regardless.

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I think I understand the confusion.

Different manufacturers have different "audio tapers" on their master volume pots. It's possible that 9 o'clock on the Darkglass head doesn't mean the same thing as 9 o'clock on the Hartke head. You should use your ears (not the position of the dial) and turn up the Darkglass master volume to sound good in the band mix. If you are hearing clipping when you play slap & pop then you need more headroom.

revroy and Lobster11 like this.
  19. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Yes. But I did not match the Dg master to the LH1000. The hartke sat around noon usually. The m900 sits around 9 since any louder and It is overpowering AND it sounds like poo. It's more of an issue of not being able to push the cabinet to where I need it.

20. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I really don't understand why you are so attached to the m900. From everything you have described, the LH1000 sounds like a better amp for your needs. I think you may be falling for the "sunk cost fallacy." Good luck in your cabinet search, mushroo out! :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022