1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Choose a New Head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xampworshipx, Sep 1, 2008.

1. xampworshipx

xampworshipx

Jul 13, 2008
    I have a bunch of heads. My normal rig is two of them, a sunn concert lead into a 2x15, and a V4 clone into a 2x15. It's beautiful and gritty and totally wretched sounding in all the best ways.

However, I am possibly joining a band in the pretty immediate future where I don't need to be distorted. Anyone who's ever played a v4 knows that thing is gonna get some sweet distortion at about 7, which I can't have. Also not loud enough on it's own. I need to be able to keep up with two guitar players playing two full stacks with two 100w (think jcm800 and laney type of family) heads EACH, but have really clear and powerful tone. I have Mesa and Emperor 2x15's at my disposal, and i'd like to go tube. I need something LOUD. And preferably on the cheaper side.

I don't want a SVT. I'm mainly looking for a Mesa 400+, a Sunn 300t, or a Fender Bassman 300 Pro. I don't want to buy new, and would like to spend substantially less than 900 dollars.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm a huge fan of Ashdown, but it has a very distinct tube sound. You should also try Eden and MarkBass.

3. xampworshipx

xampworshipx

Jul 13, 2008
    I've had Eden and Markbass heads, and honestly i'm not terribly impressed (weight and size don't mean much to me, i'm a virile strapping young lad). I really am looking for something warm and tubey.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Keep looking for one of the 3 you mentioned. No such thing as a "cheap" tube amp, only good used deals.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Having your location posted in your T/B profile sometimes triggers us to turn others on to local used bargains. There's been a 400+ craigslist ad running in my area with a $800 asking price for quite awhile now. I'm guessing he'd gladly take $650 or $700 by now.

6. xampworshipx

xampworshipx

Jul 13, 2008
    good looking out! Emailing him now. Thanks!

7. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    i use behringer and i was able to play for a crowd of 1000 people so yea
    it does good for me
    and its not that expensive

8. Check out some Gallien-Krueger heads. They've got the new Fusion 550 out and it's got some rave reviews by some fellow TB'ers. I own the GK 700 rbII and it's an amazing head. If you need more watts than 480 then try the 1001 rbII or the 2001 rbII.

9. xampworshipx

xampworshipx

Jul 13, 2008
    bump. There are no other high-powered all-tube heads on the market other than the SVT, the 400+, and the 300t/Bassman Pro?

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Peavey VB-2. 220 watts.

11. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    You could check out a traynor yba200-2. But you'd need to swap pre-amp tubes so that it won't distort at lower volumes.