Help me choose a new power amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jan 5, 2004.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I need a new power amp (the one I currently use, a Carvin FET1000, is borrowed and the owner wants it back). I'm looking for around 500w/channel at 4ohms and around $300-$500.

The amps I've been considering are Crown XLS602, QSC RMX1850HD, Carvin DCM1500, and Peavey PV1500.

I use a Sansamp RBI preamp and Avatar 210 and 115.

Any thoughts on these amps? Any other suggestions?
  2. If they're all in your price range, I'd say go with the QSC. In order of quality and reliability, it would go

Tied for 1st - QSC and Crown
    at a close second - Carvin
    and at a very close third - Peavey

They're all well-built, reliable power amps.

It just seems most guys on this board use QSC power amps more than any other.
  3. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the input. I've been leaning towards the Crown because it's less expensive than the QSC and about 17 pounds lighter.
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    you could find a used qsc plx 1602 for arround $500.
  5. You will find that this website leans more towards the QSC PLX amps. I agree with that but many sound men will tell you go with Crown over QSC. I like qsc over crown because of the filtering and light weight.
  6. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    According to Crown's website, the XLS602 is 27 pounds, which is only five pounds heavier than a PLX1602 but seventeen pounds lighter than an RMX1850.

Weight isn't a huge factor to me, but if two amps are of similar power, price, and quality but one is seventeen pounds lighter . . . I guess I've made my decision.
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The RMX1850HD is a great amp, but it weighs a friggin' ton! I upgraded to a used PLX 2402.

Check for good QSC prices.
  8. The Crown XLS602s are going for $325 brand new on ebay all the time. I think I am going to pick one up next week myself.
  9. It's sure hard to beat the price of what you're getting for a brand new XLS602 on ebay. I've been looking at those too. One thing to be aware of if you don't know already is that in order to get into bridge mode you have to rewire the speaker cable, it's not a switch on the back of the unit. It's suppose to be a very easy procedure, but it may pose as an inconvinience (especially if its forgotten at home). It's described in detail in their online manual. Check it out.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Less than that, even with shipping included. PM me if you want. Take a good look at the specs on the PLX 1602 and the XLS amps. They're quite a way apart quality wise, look at the distortion ratings and the back panel features for the PLX for starters. The Crown does look like a good deal for the money though, and I've not yet heard one from that series. I've owned plenty of both brands, and been happy. I use a PLX 2402 in my bass rig, but would probably still be using the 1602 if I had 4 ohm cabs.

----Charlie Escher
  11. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Bass nw has a Crest LT 1500 for $399. Theses are great amps. I love mine. It is also lightweight.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go with the Crown. I bought the XLS402, and I love it. The XLS series pounds out the power big time. I noticed everyone around here just loves the QSC's, which is fine. They are good amps for sure. You won't be disappointed with the Crown.

Yeah, you have to make a custom Y-cable. It is no big deal. It is just a normal XLR Y-cable. You just switch two wires in one of the male ends. Took about one minute for the guy at the music shop to do mine.