Help me choose a new PURPLE 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Ok - I just came into some "found" money, and I want to buy a new PURPLE :confused: 5-string bass. (Ok - I'm a little wierd, but I play in a "CANDY" band: and I want a candy-colored bass).

I know that I want a bolt-on neck, 35" scale, 24 frets, narrow at the nut, wide at the pickups, active electronics with at least bass/treble, and a BLEND control. It also has to have an ez-access Battery box (or be able to have one added). I would like it to be fairly lightweight, because we play very long sets!

I play "finger-style funk" - no slapping.

I don't mind if it's used and I have to have it refinished in Purple, as long as the truss rod works well, and the intonation is good, especially on the low frets.

Please send me your ideas/recommendations, and I'll follow up with what I find out and/or buy!

2. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Look to Ibanezes direction. The BTB 405 comes in a wicked purple top, and i think it has the specs your looking for mate

good luck

3. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Carvin maybe?
  4. I will add Warmoth Gecko to the list. Also The old Washburn 925's are cool and they made a purple on for awhile
  5. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    You mean like this one? Ibanez SR 405 tranparent purple.I found it on the American Musical Supply website about a year ago. Unfortunately, I think it is a discontinued model.
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just get a black bass and be licorice(sp)
  7. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    I saw a purple MM stingray...
  8. Thanks for the cool info - I'm looking at several options now. My guitar tech told me to stay away from Ibanez, though.

The Warmouth Gecko looks cool - but how do I choose from all those options, and how do I know what it's gonna sound like (and what if I don't like it)?

9. There is a guy on this site from Warmoth. He helped me design my Gecko. Give him an idea of what you are looking for and he can help. Brian Goode is his name. bwbass is his user profile name.
  10. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'd second the vote for the Ibanez BTB405.

Technically, it's black transparent, but I've never met anyone who can honestly say it's not purple.

The quality is also better than most Ibanezes (Ibani?).

Brand new, they run about $600, so I'm sure you can find a used one on the cheap side.

It's got one extra string, though, and it also has an extra $1000 over what I'm willing to pay in the price tag. Sure is nice to look at, though!
  12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    <---Here's one, but I don't know where she is now...
  13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    He told you to stay away from Ibanez? Its just a bass, it doesn't have the plague. Your tech might not like them, but I wouldn't take what he says with too much. Its just an opinion. Ibanez does make really good basses. I had an SR400 and while I didn't care for the tone, playability wise, its one of the best basses I've owned.
  14. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    How about a 4 string StingRay?

PM me or email at: sdelcam at

$900 OBO
  15. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    the euro spectors come in a nice looking purple. they're said to have outstanding value, also.
  16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    One word. Stingray
  17. That one's sure nice looking, but I need frets!!!

Tonight I'm going to test-drive an EB-musicman stingray 5 at Sam Ash. I posted an ad on and somebody answered me that has a purple fiver for sale for $1000 mint - I hear it's a discontinued color.

I'm only worried about where I'm gonna park my thumb. More info later after I try it out.

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I played an Alvarez purple-flamed 6 over the weekend, Bolt-on I believe, played reasonably well and I think it was 4 or 5 hundred bucks!
  19. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If you can live with 22 frets, definitely try a Lakland. You can get a Skyline pretty cheap.