Help me choose a P!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, May 24, 2004.

Which P for me?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2004.
  1. MIA Fender P-Bass

2. MIM Fender P-Bass with upgraded pup

3. Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

4. G&L LB100

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys help me choose a P. Im looking for a big fat tone with a more mellow highend (rather than zingy). The tone i really appreciate is Nate Mendel's P-Bass tone on the latest The Fire Theft CD. I know he used a vintage 76 P-Bass but not sure if it is modded or not. I know from live picture the only thing I can really see is a Bad Ass II bridge.

So given that his P is a vintage I am leaning towards the Glaub but not sure if the same or similar can be had with the other choices.

What do you guys think?
  2. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Mine is a MIM with SD Quarter Pounds...I string with Rotosound. The Laklands seem to get glowing reviews and I would highly recomend getting your hands on one to play.
    The Fenders these days IMHO are a crapshoot in terms of consistent workmanship. I was already to buy a MIA P bass but could not find one that felt just right. The SD pups make a world of difference to my ear. I was not crazy about my P the first six months I had it but after a decent set up job and the new pups it has become my ax a choice for now.... :bassist:
  3. Persnally I would also say to have a look at the 57' RI's, very lovely basses!!
    will help with the vintage warmth, and imo they feel great compared to other MIA's I've played! :smug:
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go for a Fender vintage RI series. Although if you play a MIA that feels nice i would go with that.

I really recomended you get a Japanese one though. They are as good as the MIAs in every way except some simple things such as hardware that can be upgraded, but i dont see how a knob can feel less sturdy, o well. Japanese Fenders amaze me.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah I totally forgot about the 57 and 62 RI Fenders...
  6. I love my 62 RI P. The pickup output isn't as hot as the MIA standard, but the tone is phat city. I like the 62 RI's neck profile much more than the others I demo'd. The RI's are nice basses
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Although I think that a MIM Fender is great deal if you get a good one, I played a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn and I was blown away. If you don't mind paying about three times the price for a MIM Fender, you will definitely be happy with the sound.
  8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Fender Steve Harris sig.
    Best P bass ever, I'm getting one!
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Skyline Bob Glaub. Seriously, it's everything you wish a P bass was, and then more. I will own one, someday.

Almost walked out the door with one last years. Still not sure why I didn't. What's it like? Perfection. What's it sound like? Amazing.

Why is there a dillema? Because you must not have played the Glaub.
  10. I'd pick the skyline B.G. of the ones you mentined

you could look for a used Mike Lull P4
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Lakland Skyline Glaub.
    I have owned both the 57 and 62 reissues.
    They are nice basses, as said above, fender does make alot of lemons.
    If you get a good one you have a nice bass.
    The Glaub bass to me is better than the fender in every respect.
    and best of all Price. $950.00 for Glaub
    $1250.00 for fender.
  12. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Sorry I should clarify. I dont necessarily want a BAII bridge on my new P. I was just pointing out that the only mods I can plainly see on Nate Mendels 76 P-Bass is a BAII bridge. I think I am leaning towards a Glaub right now.

Now I have to decide between Black and Natural. If I go black I will switch out the pickguard for a tort one and if I go Natural then I will probably switch the guard for an ivoroid one.

decisions decisions. So that Fralin pup is pretty fat and warm sounding?

I also need to figure out if I want a maple or rosewood fingerboard. Hmmm