Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose a Preamp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Apr 7, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I just bought a new MTD Heir 5 string with the active electronics and it is a sweet Bass, however I'm not really thrilled with the tone. I would like to change out the preamp. I'm looking for suggestions for a preamp. I would love a real beefy in your face Bass tone and yet still be well rounded on the mids and treble. I don't slap much but that's not to say I would not like to down the road when I improve the skills. So info on the Bass: It has two passive pickups, a jazz at the neck and MM style at the bridge and it has a vol/blend treb/mid/Bass 5 knob setup, it has a decent sized cavity and I am not opposed to drilling a hole if need be and adding a mid select switch. So what do you guys think?? :help:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    It you haven't done a search for this particular situation I recommend one.

Know nothing about that bass but I picked up an MM pup out of Kingston and it's not bad. Could be they got cheesie on the preamp end. Normally, I'd always go for the pup swap but if that pup is anything like the one I have, it's not top flight but it's not the problem. I'd go US Bart. I've had lots of Barts, EMG, and Aguilar. Barts everybit as good (or better) and a lot cheaper financially. Seems the MTD's may even have a "Bart import" preamp.

For what it's worth.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Do a search for [bartolini and Aguilar and obp].

You will get 5, now 6 threads. Read every one.

Pay attention to what people say about mids.

Tim99.

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for th response's and I am planning on keeping the pickups right now, I just want to swap out the preamp and see how much of a difference that makes. :) I also failed to mention that the preamp in there now (original one) is also very noisey on the hiss side if you turn the treble up pass the center indent, another reason I want to change it out. :smug:

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I second the Aggie OBP-3 recommendation. I have one in my deluxe Jazz with a mid selector switch and a passive/active switch, incase my battery dies. You can hardwire it instead of adding switches if you decide against the extra holes. I think the tone is just what you described. I have a Bart preamp in my other bass, but it doesn't color the tone as much. Very transparent. I prefer how the Aggie colors the tone. Fattens it up even when the controls are all set flat. The sparkly highs are there too if you want them. I keep them rolled off.

6. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida

Sounds like a winner! Do you know if any modification will be needed to any of the current drilled pot holes or will the mid switch fit right in one of the existing holes without any mods? :meh:

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Switches will fit in a smaller hole than control pots, but if you find the right washer, you can install a switch in a control pot hole. I've done it before.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    What I've done that worked real well is to cut a piece of tubing (like auto hose, whatever, mine was clear like aquarium hose so have no idea what it was from), slip it over the switch threads and drop it through the pothole. Fit the pothole and switch almost perfectly. Don't remember what size pot it was but you can go to any auto parts and they'll have various hoses within the range of what you'd need.