1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lilcrate, Oct 27, 2013.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Budget: Let's say <~1500 u.s.d.

Ideal tone: warm, vibrant, vintage, clarity, versatile

Music: blues, blues/rock, rock, primarily,

Bass: Fender Jazz Bass

Preferences: hybrid and lightweight. I'm kind of liking 12s I think. 15s are nice. Not too into the punchiness I've heard from 4x10s

Audience: Small gigs hopefully within 6months. Medium gigs are possible in the future but not on the horizon any time soon.

I have watched many videos on YouTube and played through a couple, but hard to get access to a lot of stuff. I played through the Orange Terror 500 with Orange 2x12 and really liked it, but not sure about the design. Terror 500 with 2 Aguilar 12s maybe? I know nothing about pairing up heads and cabs. Just looking for some options I can look into.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Spend a little time reading through the amps forum. If it's not possible to personally demo some amps, this site and Youtube are the next best thing. Think in terms of 300+ watts, and never skimp on the spkrs. A well designed 2x12 is a good start, but don't go smaller.

3. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
  4. They don't have to be and the full three tube preamps are "tamer" than the SS pre's. No boost on the Fusion's, you have to crank the input gain to get it. Articulate is why they came first to mind, versatile from modern to old school is second. Light and powerful.

5. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Sounds like right up my alley. I'll definitely check them out. Thanks again.

6. Only heard good things about the Aguilar TH500. Bonus for the great customer service.

The GKs have a certain sound baked in, but its certainly not a bad one. A bit more emphasis on the hi and low mids with a bit of a scoop down the center, round 500 hz or so. The eq is great for dealing with different rooms/basses, but it wont take you to far away from the "sound" that they're known for.

7. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    I have definitely liked what I've heard of the TH500 on YouTube. Haven't played through it yet though and I only have one dealer in my state and it's a small uptight shop.

Thanks for the input on GK.

8. What is your budget?

I recommend an ampeg Pf-800 and a greenboy DuallyT.

Oops saw the edit....

How about a tb-500 and a Bassic15 loaded with a 15pr400.

9. Get something similar to what i use. Rack mount sans amp, power amp and an ampeg classic cab. The sans amp RBI and PSA are great to send a signal to front of house(just make sure you keep the blend knob between 11 o'clock an 1 o'clock). Below 11 o'clock starts sounding pretty dry, the blend up to high starts sounding sterile. classic 410he and 810e are my favorite cabs. They have good amount of clarity because they are sealed cabs but they still have that round rock sound where most other cabs that have the clarity sound modern (aka sterile)

10. I have no trouble at all getting away from the supposed "baked in sound" ;) and the Fusions give you a choice of mid contour if you use it.
    "Equalizer:
    Bass +10db @ 60Hz
    Lo-Mid +6db/-10db @ 250Hz
    Hi-Mid +6db/-10db @ 1kHz
    Treble +14db @ 7kHz"
    I don't know where the 500 Hz would come from?
    Flat is: Treble 11:00, High mids 1:00, Low Mids 2:30 and Bass 11:00.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Get a Genz Benz Streamliner 600.
    And a Schroeder 1212L cab. Your all set. ::bassist: