Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose a RIG!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Ok im selling my SWR combo and some other small tidbits to get myself a new rig but i am undecided on what to do. I wanna get somethnig that will be loud pounch powerful and will last me for anything from practice to small-decent sized crowds.

I was thinking of these companies for my choices but am not sure its hard to narrow it down:

SWR
    Ampeg
    Carvin
    Hartke

If i could get some feedback on their head/cab models that would be good to take a look into andw ether or not the comany is really reliable. Ive got a price range probabaly around 1500 and am looking to get above 400watts of power atleast if possible.

-Vince

If ya know any other good comapnies that u think would work feel free to lay them down as well Thanx!

2. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    I was just at Elderly Intruments http://www.elderly.com/ This weekend, and they had the SWR 750 (the new one) plugged into a Warwick cab (410 with horn...didn't know they made cabs)...It was quite nice. The cab handled 600W RMS I believe and the 750 puts out...well...800 watts or so...Good match. Tons of headroom and the cab was really Hi-Fi. Sounded like an Eden 410XLT to me.

Anyhow...They are selling the head for about a grand and the cab has been there for at least 1 1/2 years. It started at like 1100 bucks and it is down to 500 and some change. They are trying to move it bad...

Quite a rig for about $1500.

Check 'em out. The guy I know there is Matt Theodoroff...Cool dude.

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hi..i emailed you let me know if it worked.

I used ot have the SWR redhead combo then i bought an ampeg rig and it was one of the best decisions i ever made. but it all depends on what kind of sound you want...i wanted the ampeg sound - not the swr sound. there are a ton of threads here that describe the nuances of different brands... i think you need to find out what kind of tone you want and then start looking at different brands.

-erik

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Musiciansbuy.com sells the 750 new for about $800. I am selling my SWR Goliath Jr (2x10) and my Son of Bertha (1x15). PM me if you want a quote on the cabs. They are about 1.5 years old and well taken care of. I am sure that if you spent $800 on an amp, we could keep your out of pocket expense below $1500 including my cabs.