Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose a set of strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wildsponge, Nov 8, 2004.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Ok.. I started like most bass players on GHS boomers. I liked the tone but they lasted like 2 weeks for me. I then switched to elixir nanowebs which I like overall but they never sound that bright, but fortunately last forever while staying as bright as they started. Now I'm looking for something different. I've been looking at different string reccomendations and I see a lot of DR and D'Addario. I've been debating over HI-beams, LO-beams, or ProSteels. But each seem to have their weak points. Each specialized in certain frequencies. I'm looking for thick, juicy lows, soild, pronounced mids that cut, and crisp crisp brightness. I want maximum life and pretty maximum brightness. What should I pick? Any others besides those 2 that I should consider? It seems like some have good lows but not bright, vice versa, etc. I want it all. Is it possible? THX

2. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Oh, also, I play rock (sometimes pop-punk for lack of a better term) and a lot of modern, edgy church music if that helps the decision process any more. THX

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I would recommend DR Lo-Riders. I use them for exactly the reason you described- Punchy lows, aggressive mids, and clear highs. DR's have a very good life as well- they outlasted the D'Addarios I used to use.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    +1 on the DR lowrider theyre great strings. Maybe some higher gauge(45's) high beams if you really want brightness and clear high end. The lowriders are great though

5. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    How do the HI-beams compare to the Lo's? Those are pretty much the two that I have narrowed it down to. Everything sounds good on the Lo's so far. Do you think they will be bright enough? I don't slap but like a nice bright sound.

6. For your situation, I would suggest DR highbeams, or D'Addario XL's.

They're both easy to find in stores, and they are both relatively cheap.