Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Choose A Yamaha Keyboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I originally planned on getting a Roland keyboard, but I found that I'll be able to get more bang for my buck (around $500) if I go with Yamaha. The main use of the keyboard will be for arranging and to accompany my bass playing for making recordings and fill the role of several instruments, and possibly including the drum track. These are the three I've been looking at, each pretty different from each other.

Yamaha DGX 300 76 keys, 32-note polyphony, good amount of sounds including a great piano sound. This is more of a piano-style keyboard, with software to teach piano (which would be helpful in that I can't really play, although the LED readout that shows the lessons may be far too small for my poor eyesight to make use of). 3 1/2 floppy and 6 track sequencer as well.

Yamaha PSR 550 61 key, 32 note polyphony, tons of sounds. This is like a jacked-up version of a standard Casio-style keyboard. 16 track sequencer, 3 1/2 floppy, good overall keyboard.

Yamaha S03 This is the one I'm leaning towards the most. 61 key, 64-note polyphony, tons of sounds, and has a modulation wheel. No 3 1/2 floppy drive, but it comes with recording software instead, and it seems to have better connectivity to other instruments and MIDI.

All are compatible with the same DG and PSR software, and all have direct connections for a PC. Check out the links and tell me what you think would suit my needs best. Thanks in advance.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The S03 has a lot of good sounds. I'm getting the S08. It's the same as the S03 except with 88 semi-weighted keys.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I couldn't get the origianl links from Yamaha.com to work, so I made links to a store's site with descriptions of the keyboards. For the full rundown, go to www.yamaha.com.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  5. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    check out Raleighmusic.com

A really nice KB on there for sale.

Joe

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I too have been kicking the idea around of picking up a decent set of keys. What advantage would I have getting something like this over say......an older DX-7?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, they stopped making DX-7s sixteen years ago! I'd imagine if you found one in great shape it would still sound wonderful, considering all the famous synth-based 80's groups that used them. I'm just not a fan of buying any musical gear over a few years old-I don't know enough about the electronics aspect of instruments to know if I would be getting something that was about to fall apart.

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Sorry about reviving an ancient thread, but I'm looking into a Yamaha P60 or P90 for home use. I'm interested in good grand piano sounds, plus some Rhodes and B-3 sounds as well...Anyone familiar?