Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me choose: aguilar db359 rig vs. EA iamp combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    My current rig:
    Yamaha PB-1 preamp
    Yamaha p2201 poweramp
    Aguilar GS112
    Eden d210xlt
    I biamp this, with the highs going into the Aguilar and the lows going into the Eden. Unfortunately, the preamp doesn't seem to be "all there" and will sometimes stop putting out low end altogether (leaving me to honk around like an idiot onstage,) and the poweramp is just something I've borrowed until I find my own head or poweramp. I may have a choice between:

an Aguilar DB359 (with my gs112, maybe adding another later,)
    or a Euphonic Iamp combo, maybe adding the 10" extension cab later.

I've heard that the Aguilar is too quiet for a lot of gigs, and it's also pretty heavy, but I generally prefer the sound of tube heads. Since my old Workingman15" was capable of cutting through my band's mix at 160 watts, I'm sure this amp can as well.

The Iamp, on the other hand, has better wattage, but seems as heavy as a lot of 1x15" and 2x10 combos. I'm also worried that it may be easier to overdrive and clip. Seeing as it's just a 1x10", can this amp really put out sound comparable to 12" and 15" combos, even with 350 watts?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've had used both on many occasions.

the DB359 seems plenty loud. but i was using it primarily for lounge shows thru my 1x12. yet, tonally, its too die for! IMHO, tonally, the 359 is the nicer of the two amps. has that rounded, glassy hifi feel with that tubey sponginess. yes, its that good. :D

i've tried a DB659 with QSC power amp, and the DB359's 6550 output tubes make all the diff. but it was heavier than a mofo to lug around. oi, @ 50 lbs. is no joke for a mere head.

if you're willing to schlep that much weight, i'd just get a DB750. weighs the same to me, pumps waaay more wattage, and has a quicker response thanks to the SS power section. sure the power section is SS, but the preamp's got 4 tubes, so it rocks tonally, as many of your fellow TB'ers will tell you.

as for the iAMP350, its one of my fav amps! i've got the head version, and its only 15 lbs. great for the cab rides. dunno much bout the combo's. but heard its pretty nice. in terms of weight/size vs. tone ratio, its one of the best.

i love it especially for my Azola upright with its faithful tone. tonally, the bass feels much tighter than the loosey goosey 359. the highs have that SS airy hifi-ness vs. the 359's tubey smooth glassiness. But, the mids arent as smooth nor as nice. but waddya expect? tube vs. SS. still, for an SS amp, the tone's great and the EQ is waaaaaay more flexible than the 359 hopes it could be. coupled with my Bergie HT112, its pure heaven.

speaking of which, its made me realize, there are few things in this world that are destined to be tastier together: s'mores, root beer & vanilla ice cream, peanut butter & marshmellow's, iAMP350's and Bergantino cabs. ahhhh, aint nothin' like it. ;)

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    So, this might be kinda subjective, or depend on the kinds of gigs you used them for, but which amp would you say is "louder"? (using a single 1x12 cab.)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say they're about equal. 200 "tube" watts is about the same as 350 "solid state" watts. the slight edge might be to the EA only cause its SS and at high volumes, the bass response doesnt quite mush out like on the DB359.