1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose! Ampeg svt-410he or Gallien Krueger Neo-410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abracadunphy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    I 'm in doubt between these 2 cabinets (same price where I live), I play in a rock band with ampeg SVT-4.

I guess the best option is GK because it has more power (800w) , but...any advice you can give me will be welcome.

Thanks!!

2. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    That Neo is really sweet! I played one just yesterday at GC in Sacramento. The sound was phenomenal!

3. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Someone else? Any feedback is welcome :help: . The Ampeg is manufactured in China , GK in Usa (?). How about the quality of construction of both cabinets?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both companies are known for quality goods. The 410he, believe it or not, had some pretty serious problems fixed when Ampeg moved to overseas manufacture in 2007. The US versions were almost all made with OSB chipboard, which is a higher quality chipboard but still wood chips and glue that's prone to puncture wounds and moisture-related swelling and weakening, and the ones from 2000-06 had real muddy speakers with no real highs to speak of. Nowadays they use real plywood and much better sounding speakers.

As for the power handling ratings, I have yet to play a 410 that can take much more than 400-500w without farting out, not a single one, and cabs with neos are no exceptions. They may claim 800w in the GK, but that is the point that the cab will blow the voice coil, not the point where it starts to distort and only heats up the voice coils, which is more of a long-term damage thing rather than blowing right away. The 410he's 500w rating is for when they start to distort, not when the voice coils blow. The rating at which the voice coils will blow is 1000w. So both cabs will let you dump fairly equal amounts of wattage into them, and if you plan on being so ungodly loud that you're in danger of blowing a 410, you should be looking at 810 rigs instead.

As for sound, I prefer the Ampeg, some others prefer GK. That's up to you. But as far as build quality, they're both fine examples.

Mike_1978 and Hi-End Basses like this.
  5. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Hi JimmyM , perhaps ampeg 410 is the best choice for me, anyway try both this weekend and will make my decision .
    I love the ampeg 810 , but for now is too much power for my needs. I guess in a couple of years , I buy it , inevitably :rolleyes:.
    It really helps me much your comment , I know it's a personal decision, but also affect the rest of my band mates , so I want to choose the best.

Thank you once again :thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021