Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Choose An Acoustic Guitar!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 29, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey I just have a question about acoustic guitars. I'm planning on purchasing one to replace my current dented junior-sized guitar. At the shop today I noticed three I really liked. I'm just looking for your opinions on these models, or on any other models in the same price range, as I don't really know what to look for (my only requirement is that it must be a cutaway).

Art & Luthrie Cutaway:

[​IMG]

It's the one on the right, but I would have it in an antique burst or transparent red finish.

Takamine EG530CRS:

[​IMG]

Seagull CW Cedar GT-II

[​IMG]

Now, the last two are acoustic/electric and the first is acoustic only. What are some of the advantages of an acoustic/electric? Obviously it can be played through an amp, but micing a regular acoustic would do the same thing right? Can an acoustic/electric be used with effects? I basically need to know if it's worth the extra cash.

Could anyone with experience on acoustic guitar compare these three, or suggest some others? Thanks very much.

Graeme :bassist:

2. I'd go with an acoustic-electric like the Takamine, I've heard those and they sound quite nice.

It is extremely difficult to mic a purely-acoustic guitar onstage. In the recording studio, it's more feasible, but the mic can pick up lots of extra noises...chair squeaking, your breathing, etc. I've had trouble with the proximity effect with a microphone: just barely moving the guitar closer to the mic would increase the volume and make it more bassy.

Onstage it's essential to have an acoustic-electric IMHO. I use an Ovation with the built-in saddle transducers and preamp. Sounds great, I go straight into the mixer. My current gig, I play the acoustic on maybe a dozen songs.

3. What are you going to use it for?

4. P.S.

For effects, about all I ever use is a little chorus--and that's only on one or two songs. No reverb, there's plenty onstage as it is.

One extra point: I'd pay a little more and get a guitar with a built-in tuner. The outdoor gigs I play have some wide temperature ranges, and guitars go out of tune easily. Believe me, it's well worth being able to quickly and quietly touch up the tuning between songs.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The Takamine is likely to be of higher build quality -- the other two guitars are "entry" brands. Seagull is Godin's Epiphone (did that make sense?); I forget who owns Ars Lutherie. Although, having said that, as entry level guitars go, they are both nice ones. But Takamine.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Ah, forgot to mention that. Basically, I write a lot of my band's riffs on guitar, and some solos (thus the need for a cutaway). I also play acoustic guitar and sing on stage at my school sometimes. Basically though, I need something that I can take around with me (sitting around the camp-fire with friends type of thing), something that will record well, and be easy for stage performances. So I guess I'm leaning a bit towards the electric/acoustic side, they're a lot more expensive though.

Cost Breakdown:

Takamine: $595 CDN + taxes + case
    Seagull: $695 CDN + taxes (incredibly cool case included)
    Art & Lutherie: $280 CDN + taxes + case

Oh, and the Takamine has an onboard tuner whilie the Seagull does not. However, one thing that draws me to the Seagull (and A&L, for that matter) is the fact that it's made here in Canada, while the Takamine is Korean-made. I don't know how much of a quality difference I will notice though.

If it helps with the desicion at all, here is a picture of the Takamine and Seagull's pre-amp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep thinking the Takamine must be too good to be true, at such a great price and so many features. :meh:

Help!

Graeme :smug:

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Okay well thanks for the info. Art & Lutherie is owned by Godin as well, BTW. As is Norman, and Simon & Patrick too, which i didn't know until today.

Graeme

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A Greenburst Acoustic Excellent ! :bassist:

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
  10. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I can't comment on Takamine or the other brand, but I've had some bad experiences with Seagull guitars, including (but not limited to)

• Warped neck from the factory
    • Badly cut nut
    • Poorly constructed bridge
    • The interior bracing also left a lot to be desired...

So yeah...I certainly wasn't feeling 'em. I love my Martin, but I'm fairly certain that's not what you're looking for :)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played a pair of Seagulls and I can agree with the above that they have construction flaws a lot of times, mostly fit and finish, and the bracing was pretty shotty. Wasn't a very warm sound either.

Out of those three, I'd probably go with the A&L, considering even though it's Godin's entry level, I've heard great things and IIRC, they're made in Canadia.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd take the Seagull. The Art & Luthrie don't have solid tops (they're laminated); the Seagull does have solid tops. The cedar model scratches easily, but is loud and full. You want a solid top in an acoustic. For the money, you can't beat the Seagull, or Simon & Patrick (basically the same guitar with different shaped headstocks). These are great sounding guitars.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have personally only had good experiences with Seagull guitars. But that Takamine looks pretty promising. I would probably take the Tak'.

14. My acoustic/electric is the cheapest of the cheap (I use it for similar reasons to you btw), but it's alright apart from a terrible neck, so I can't imagine the tak' being that bad at that price!

15. Well I love dreadnaughts, so I'd buy either Tanglewood on budget or Martin if I had cash. It is also good thing to buy a guitar thats produced in the land that has similar climate to where you live. But that's just me. :D

Oh and I did like Simon & Patrick I tried out at the local store, it sounded great.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm extremely biased since my guitar is a Seagull and I'm completely in love with it.....

That said, the Seagull is clearly the best quality guitar of the ones you're considering. With the experience I (and my family) had with Godin products (four guitars - a Norman, a Seagull, and two Godins - and a really nice Lasido bass neck) I would look at Godin first and frakly would not even consider the Takamine at all.

Are you sure the A&L doesn't have any pickup at all? Some less expensive (and the most expensive as well) acoustics have pickups with no EQs, but a plug. That's the way my Seagull is, and the pickup sounds just fine. You want a pickup because it makes it much easier to tune with a tuner.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Any competently manufactured guitar can have "great, low action" if somebody does a proper setup. :meh:

18. I'm on my second Norman B-20 now. you can get one with a pickup, with a case for under $650 iirc. when buying the second one, i had the store give me a few to try out, and picked the best one.

satin finish, cedar top, cherry sides/back, after having my last B-20 for a few years, the grain on the fretboard did open up, but didn't affect anything at all, and could only be seen close up. had that guitar for 8 years before it was stolen. i haven't found another guitar that sounds as warm in the price range.

so my vote is try out some normans. not everyone loves them, but they're definitely worth a try. my $650 Norman sounds (to me) better than my guitar player's $1200 A&L.