Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose an amp! PLZ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martyr of obscu, Aug 31, 2005.

1. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    I own an 4-string active bass, I play death and thrash metal, im a begginer and im getting a new amp. I have about 350 - 400 dollars. What amp do u reccomend....as in how many watts???!!! A friend told me soemthing about VOLTAGE in the amp. I dunno my question is....When i go to the store what specs should I ask for??!! PLZ help

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you already have an amp? If so, do you need to upgrade? Don't worry about voltage at all. Its irrevelant unless you are working on the amp yourself.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ask for an Ampeg B100-R. Some of the Ashdown guys will chime in after me. I don't know their gear good enough to give you model names. Oh yeah, a couple Avatar guys will hit this thread up also.

-Mike

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Don't forget the Kustom Groove bass and Shroeder guys. They'll be along soon too. ;)

5. Gallien Kreuger Backline 600 would be in your budget.

6. You guys completely skipped over SWR...how dare you! :scowl:

Find a used SWR Workingman's 12 or 15. I think you can get a new Workingman's 10 for that.
    WM 10 - 80 watts
    WM 12 - 120 watts
    WM 15 - 160 watts

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Peavey TNT115 combo. Best amp around in that price range in my opinion, I've gigged and recorded death metal with one.

8. I'm with a Kustom Groove amp - you'll get enough watts and a good enough amp to last you for years, they're a little more than your price band though

(not sure how much the combos are, but I saw the head version for $540-ish on ebay - no speakers with it though...)

How loud is your current amp? - 15,20,50,80,150 watts?

Generally, in an amp your maybe gonna do gigs with your looking at 100 (ideally 150) watts plus if you wanna hear yourself easily onstage - I use a 300 watt trace at the moment, and sometimes I still struggle to hear myself!

9. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    People I dont have an amp, I go to a friends house and I use his piano/mic amp but not enough punch in my opinion. I also didnt explain myself well enough, I need a cabinet and an amp but thats too much $$$ so I would need a combo amp!
    Sorry bout that.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Check out a peavey tnt 115. Like everyone has heard I use one against 2 guitarists who have 120 watt 212 combo's and it works fine!

You can find em new for around 450-500 or used for around 300$

-Rob

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Upon further review of my original post, I still recommend to you the B100R from Ampeg.

-Mike

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Peavey TNT, the only amp in that price range I'd trust for a gig; it gets loud enough to run even some lower-med class gigs without PA. Definately complimentry to a guitar 212.

13. I played a peavey Markk III combo with a hardcore/metalcore band which had 2 5150 half stacks one of which was running through a power amp and I got told to turn down. very effectice combo. for what your looking for I would say peavey is the way to go. to bad you werent looking for an amp around a month ago I let a peavey 1810 and mark III head go for 250 and made money through the deal