Help me choose an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BellaSpider, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BellaSpider

Jan 28, 2006
    I'm a relatively new bassist, but i'm going to be doing some small gigs soon and I need a new amp (besides my practice one). I live in NYC so it can't be something that I'll have trouble dragging around with me. I've been looking around, but i'm a little overwhelmed with options so what size/wattage should i be looking at, any brand suggestions, and any specific things I should look for in an amp? (I play on a fender 4-string p-bass in a grunge/rock band (no pick), and I use my boss distortion pedal alot.. if any of that helps) Thanks!!
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    thanks for filling in your profile!

sorry this post will be erratic, but I hope I can help.

standard questions:

how much can you spend?

big combo or separates?

enough volume for personal monitor or fill stage or fill room (probably not gonna happen)?

Wattage recommended: rated at 400-1000w into 4ohms (for separates), 200w+ combo with speaker extention output, two-wheeler or luggage carrier, search "remin" or "kart-a-bag"

for speakers I think at least two 12" speakers or a 410 to start, I personally like twelves (fatter rounder) if you want fast and punchy try 10s. or maybe a 12 and 210? if you KNOW you will have multiple cabs MAKE SURE you get 8ohm cabs. cabs should be rated 300w+ in my opinion. different brands will give you different tones some dark/heavy some midrangey, others low-mid. with distortion you might prefer midrangey type cab to reveal the fuzzy distortion

I don't know exactly what a "grunge" band will need for tone. I too play finger style, no slap 4 string ric:

basic separates idea: Eden WT550 (love the rounded sound, very flexible eq), Aguilar GS112 + 112NT, I already have Remin: tri-kart 800 luggage carrier (300 LB capacity)

smaller separates idea: ampeg pb-212 (light, 400w, wheels and handle built in), eden wt550 head. cart.

if I wanted to go COMBO I'd personally choose yorkville xm200 15" with an extention speaker either 210 or 410. Yorkville is pretty respectable price and tonewise new, I think. cart of course!

OTHER preferences if possible: semi-parametric mid control on eq (for getting good cut-through frequency), amp output capable of 4ohm load FOR SURE and down to 2 ohms if possible. Some of the newer eden stuff fits this and ampeg "B series" looks good,