Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose an extension cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unity bass, Apr 27, 2005.

1. 1x12

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. 1x15

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. 2x10

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 4x10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I use a Carvin 2x10 600W combo amp. I want to get more volume for our outdoor stuff. We don't play huge events or anything and my 2x10 has done pretty well, but sometimes I get buried in the mix.

I biamped using a 2x15 cab last week and I liked it but I had to borrow a truck to get to the gig!

I am inclined to get a 1x12 but I wonder how much it would help? (Obviously, it won't sound like the 2x15).

I'm looking at either Avatar or Carvin (my price range) in one of these four configurations: 1x12, 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10

So, portability being a factor but not the only factor, what do you recommend?

2. My vote is for the 112 Avatar. I've heard/read nothing but rave reviews about this cab. I'm also going to get one to compliment my Ashdown 210 combo, and add to my Avatar 212 cab when I need more volume, which will probably be never...the 212 is LOUD!!!!

3. I'd get the Avatar 112.I've had a Carvin 210 and 410 and thought they sounded good except for the low end.The Avatar is probably as loud as your 210 and goes deeper,it would really compliment the good mids of the Carvin speakers.I've gigged one of these 112s with my Eden 210XLT and it was loud enough for any gig I,ve done yet.Since the pair of speakers in your Carvin are 4 ohm you could get a 4 ohm cabinet and run it non-bridged full range on one side of your amp to get the most power to it.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Either a 2x12 or a 1x15.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Me likes da SB112. You say you're doing ok with a 2x10 which is hard for me to believe, so add that SB112 fer 200 bucks and you should be rockin. I've been using mine alone recently in practice (we play pretty close to stage volume) and it's been fine. It's got plenty of lows to fill out those 10's. Oh, and its small.