Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me choose an head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 6, 2004.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi
    I would like to switch from my bass combo to a head/cab setup... but I'm a bit confused. It seems that most cabs have 8 ohm impedance and many heads aren't so powerful at 8 ohm... My combo is 350 w at 4 ohm (the cabinet is also 4 ohm) so I would like to get something more powerful... what should I buy??? I don't know much about bass heads.. I saw on the ampeg site the svt3 pro it seems nice but at 8 ohm it goes for 275w.... is it enough???

2. Well is your current 350W at 4 ohms cutting it? Do you need more power? It sounds like you want more but I am not sure. I personally don't like the svt 3, but many amps are around that power level. How much are you able to spend? What kind of sound are you looking for?

3. I would imagine your current rig is putting out about 200 watts at 8 ohms, so I don't think upgrading to only 275 watts at 8 ohms is a worthwhile purchase. You're going to want more than that if it's power that you're after.

4. Geez, no need to be a twit. Cut the guy some slack - English likely isn't his first language...it says "location: Italy" for Chrissakes...I wish my 2nd language was as good as his English is...

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Can you tell us why you don't like the combo?

What kind of music do you play? Are you looking for more power? How much money do you want to spend? Etc...

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    For more power I suggest preamp/poweramp combination. For 1000€ you can have 1000-2000W and not to worry about power anymore.:bassist:

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hey don't laugh at me because of my english!!! :) You know that's not my first language...

About the amp... I need more speaker surface, not more power. I saw on the ebs site that the only extension cabinet for my combo is a 15' sub but I want to try other configurations... I'd like to have 4 x 12'... I play heavy rock and I saw many rockers use 4 x 12' or 4 x 10'.My amp has great sound but I tried a 4 x 10' + 1 x 15' and it was better... The sound was punchier and more defined still being round and warm as I like it. I think that 350w is all the power I'll ever need, thanks to PA systems...

As I said in another thread, I'm renting this combo and it will become mine if I continue renting it for 3 years. But I won't spend 1700 euros in three years only to have a 15' combo... I hope playing in larger venues in the next three years and I would need different speakers and with a head/cab setup I could expand it later. So to me it's better investing some 2000 euros in a head/cabinet rig than 1700 in a 15' combo...
    But I don't know much about bass heads I always cared about combos... I need some advice!
    What about good preamp/poweramp configurations?
    tell me please....

8. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    what's the frequency (hz) of an E string? what about a dropped-d?? I was looking at the techical specs of some ampeg cabs... it seems that they only have 4 x 10' cabs at the shop but I'm worried about not having low frequency response! And I can't afford a 4 x 10' and a 1 x 15'... And it seems that 4 x 12' have very similar frequency response than a 4 x 10'...help!!!

9. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    Try Ampeg SVT410HLF, it has lower freq. response than SVT410HE. I'm trying to decide myself between 410HLF and 410HE w/possibly 115 in the future to go with my Ampeg V4BH head.

10. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    If you like the sound of the amp of your combo (did you say EBS?), try looking for the same head and try it with a 4x10 cab, with a possibility of adding another cab (4x10, 2x10 or 1x15) later.

Most likely you'll end up paying more than for a head.

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    So, you play rock? How about a nice big tube amp?

You ought to be able to find an SVT or perhaps a lovely Trace Elliot V6, or even a Sunn/Fender 300T -- used, that is. You might also be able to find a Sound City 150 - 200 watt head from the 70s. Gives you that amazing Jack Bruce tone.

There is truly no substitute for tubes if you want to rip it. Of course, there's no substitute for tubes if you just like great tone!

The impedance issue will be less because tube amps let you switch without losing power.

Sure, there are some tube reliability issues, but solid state amps blow up, too. Use good tubes (ElectroHarmonix are generally well thought of) and you should be fine.

12. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that tube amps sound about as loud as solid state amps which have twice the power.

100 watt tube = 200 watt solid state.

That's for equivalent quality.

So, if you use an efficient bin, a 300 watt SVT would go pretty freakin' loud.

I should also mention that I have owned a Trace V6 for about 4 years and it is simply the finest sounding amp I have ever heard. I play rock, pop, jazz, r&b, soul, etc. It will nail any style. You should search one out.

13. The low E string has a fundamental of 40Hz, I would think if it was dropped to D it would be somewhere around 36Hz.

14. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    so a D must be 36 hz... The frequency response of a 4 x 10' he ampeg cabinet is 60 hz - 18k hz... usable low frequency is 42 hz... how will my low D sound???
    Does impedance have some relationship with volume? I mean... is 200w at 8 ohm equal to 200w at 4 ohm???

15. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't go by specs. If the local music shops have 410s, try them out. Some 410s are amazing in their depth, punch and clarity; regardless of their frequency specs. Let your ears be your guide.

I am a personal fan of Gallien Krueger heads, but opinions here swing wildly.

Try as many things out as you can.

Good luck.

16. You'll still hear it as a low D, but it won't have as much depth to the note as something with a lower frequency response.

For cabs there's no volume difference, for amps there is.

I'm assuming you're asking about cabs here, a 200 watt cab will handle 200 watts of power the same way regardless of its impedance. However, some cabinets are more efficient than others, so if you're looking at tech specs take that into consideration too when looking for volume. It's usually called sensitivity in the specs.