1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose another Distortion Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Hey, I currently have a Big Muff PI (Rus), though I want to replace it, cause I think its a one trick pony, very uncontrollable, and a tone sucker supreme...

So... I was looking for something that would have a lot more range, and the Ibanez PD7 Phat Hed seemed to do what I need... though in reading reviews, 50% love it, 50% hate it and say its very noisy on your signal...

So, without breaking the bank... what else is available out there? I dont want to go boutique, too expensive.

ps.: I've also tried the EBS MultiDrive or whatever it is, did nothing for me, and usually I love EBS pedals...

Give me a few pointers, please! :help:

2. hardy.

hardy.

Apr 24, 2006
    give up i found that eventually i just had to admit that getting good bass distortion in a pedal just doesnt happen.

3. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
  4. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    First I didn't want to reply 'cause you said no boutique and not expensive. But now I have to comment. Good bass distortion in a pedal does happen! My Xotic BB Preamp for example! And maybe there are good, cheaper bass distortions. I don't know. But there are!

5. Willem, I dont mind boutique pedals, thing is they are usually very expensive, and I dont see myself spending too much on something like a distortion pedal... I'm not "THAT" tone conscious... I just wanted something that will give me a little more than just Fuzz or Just Overdrive...Different songs require diferent sounds, and I'd like to be able to tune it in, thats all.

And , obviously, without losing TOO much sound quality... something like Boss Type quality would be fine, though I dont like their overdrive pedals.

Atoni, Zoom? I used to have a zoom multi effects and it sucked big time... is that pedal any better?

6. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I've had good luck with Radial products.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I really like my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde! It's got 2 seperate channels, each with its own volume, tone and drive controls (one channel also has an eq control) that can go from subtle overdrive to VERY fuzzy. AND you can you any combination of both channels so you could set it to be just overdrive with one channel, and then kick in the other channel to get a distortion/fuzz. It's a very versatile pedal, that has a switchable bass boost and a tone buffer circuit built-in aswell as being affordable.

8. Digitech Bass Driver if you don't want to spend a ton and want a versatile pedal (it 'simulates' a RAT, a Tubescreamer, a Big Muff, ...).

[​IMG]

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The following clip is the Phathead
    Rick Clean -> Max OD -> Max Distortion -> Pandora Fuzz (for comparison)
    http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/phatpan.mp3

The OD and Dist can be backed off but not increased. You can adjust the bass and treble which is a big plus. I catagorize distorions as either buzzsaw or angry bee swarm To me, this pedal is more of a buzzsaw type.

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Aussiephoenix my reaction wasn't against you, but against hardy.'s statement that there are no good distortion pedals. That's all. Spend as much as you like:D.

11. I didnt take offense mate, just trying to clear up what I wanted... ;)

12. :eek: Duuuuuuuude! the clean sound of that Rick Kicks ass! is that a 4001? old? new?

Noticed that as soon as the FX came into play there was a little loss of volume, is that controlable?

Also, you said you can back off the OD or Dist, right? meaning you can probably get the OD a lot softer right? Just to get an Idea of its versatility.

13. I use a Fulltone Bassdrive, which I know is more boutique territory. I've tried thousands of different distortions, and the Bassdrive kills them all. I found that the Bassdrive basically "coats" your tone rather than dominates it. It's nice as it preserves most if not all of the low frequencies. I used to use a Big Muff, with a clean blend (via Boss LS-2), and I've found that setup to be unnecessary. I had a hard time justifying the cost myself, as Fulltone is pretty expensive. However, after living with it for a while, I have no regrets!

Lyle

14. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Proco Rat !!

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    77 4001. There is an overall level adjustment and a drive adjustment to control the amount of OD/Dist the signal gets. If you drop it all the way, you can just get clean boost out of the pedal. There is also an "attack" switch but it sound like it's just a highpass filter to my ears so I leave it off. To me, having individual bass and treble controls is one of the big plusses to get the sound you are looking for. Of course the price is the best thing about it. :D

edit: there are some more samples on their website: http://www.ibanez.com/accessories/spec.asp?m=21&z=y

16. Cool sound but it sucks lows unless you get it modded by someone like Robert Keeley.

17. the rat is good, but i would also check out the ProCo Juggernaut...i am still thinking about it after Heath_the_great posted that youtube.com video of Larry Graham with his juggernaut...I love that sound :)

a lesser known inexpensive distortion pedal is the Sabine FuzzTortion...it comes with a knob that goes from distortion to fuzz, its got a mid and treble knob, and instead of a bass EQ knob, they just give you two outputs, one for clean, one for the effected signal...very nice sounding pedal imo

18. Pigtronix is coming out with a Disnortion pedal that had all the bass players a NAMM drooling. I've not seen the production models yet, but played with a prototype last fall. They're using an enhanced envelope circuit to emulate [rather well] tube dynamics - harder you play the more effect.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A boss metalzone is a suprisingly good pedal for bass. It doesn't suck out low end at all.

20. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Well Belgian Fellow it doesn't suck mine at all.

Just push far the Filter button.