Help Me Choose Between 2 Micro Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TNCreature, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Tech21 VT Bass

60.0%
  2. Trace Elliott Elf

40.0%
  1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    This: $299
    trace-elliot-elf-bass-mini-amp-front-titel-768x424.jpg
    Or This:$499.00
    vt500_main.jpg

Background:
    So I currently own a GK MB200, which I really like the sound of, but it only has a master volume, no pre. So I am looking for a change. I pair the amp with a GK 2x12 speaker cab that has a switchable horn. The cabinet is rated at 500w at 4 Ohms.

I love Tech21 products and currently have a programmable SansAmp on my pedal board.

Elf is cheaper and puts our 200 Watts, the VT puts out 500 Watts. The wattage is a minor deciding factor for me, and the 200 W amp is plenty loud.

There is a $200 price difference, but for me the best amp will provide the best value. So, a factor, but not the deciding one.

I assume with the VT I would no longer need the SansAmp on my board, as it would be overkill . Or would it? The SansAmp.gives me 3 programmable channels that I use for tone shaping. 1 Clean an full, 2. Aggressive, 3 Overdriven.

Are there elements and factors that I am missing? What other criteria would you apply? I like both of these amps but they are very different from each other.

THANK YOU!

Ignore any attachments, it's just the photos. Not sure what happened.

(P.S. I will not be wearing shorts while performing, if this is a factor.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You are going to get a LOT more versatility out of the VT500. Only go with the Elf if the small size and suoer light weight are very important to you.

TNCreature likes this.