Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me choose between power amps!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peccavi, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok well i am about to finish my new rig and all i need is to pick my power amp i have a limit of $600 so i have two choices, QSC RMX2450 Power Amp or carvin dcm2000? which would yuo choose to go with a eden navigator? i need at least 400 per side into 8 ohms so if yuo know of any other amps let me know.

also is there a big difference between the qsc plx and rmx?

thanks,
    MO

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The difference between the RMX and PLX is about 20 lbs and the design. Don't know the exact weight difference but the PLX's weigh 21 lbs and are great power amps.

Personally, I'd look for a good used PLX2402 or PLX3002.

The PLX is a 2 space amp, the Carvin might be a 3 space but I'm not sure where the breakpoint is in their line between 2U and 3U chassis.

QSC power amps are UL Listed for safety. I don't believe that Carvin amps have any third party safety certifications (the CE Marking is a self-certification mark and means just about nothing).

3. I have used Carvin amps in the past and they were ok, thats all.
    I have not used QSC, however I know folks who do use the PLX series and they sound really good.

Choice - QSC

4. I've got a dcm1000 and a plx 1202 and I've used the RMX stuff in some bands I was in. They all do the same thing and that is amplify the signal really well. The real differences I see are: Carvin 3U, RMX and PLX 2U. The PLX is quite a bit lighter than both the Carvin and the RMX. Both the PLX and the CARVIN are made in the US where the RMX is made in China. (some may consider that a difference) As for how any of them will sound in your bass rig. I don't think anybody would be able to hear any difference........................jmo................and........

5. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Between my own rig and my band's PA, we have used RMX2450, PLX3002, PLX2402, Series One 1700 (old QSC model), Crown CE2000 and a Carvin DC2000.

The RMX 2450 is for sale because the weight difference between it and its PLX brethren is so great, ESPECIALLY when you are coping with several amps in one rack. I would add to the previous suggestion: Buy a PLX2402 or 3002 on eBay. Your back will thank you.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The CE mark means that the appliance meets the safety codes required by the European Community. It is not self-awarded, but is subject to testing by a lab that is itself certified to conduct such evaluations. Often the same labs that test for UL also test for CE.

AFAIK, CE certification is legally required for anything to be sold in the EC. UL listing, however, is not legally required in the US, but many local electrical codes may require it.

7. I'm pretty sure that any Carvin poweramp under 2500w is 2U. I'll have to double check that one.

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No, Bill's right. The CE mark (Conformite Europenne) may be self-awarded for any items that do not fall under the high-risk category (dangerous machines, pressure vessels, gas appliances, medical devices.) Most other items are self-certifiable. I was looking inside my Aguilar DB-659 yesterday and the PWB all have the CE mark on it. I doubt if Aguilar spent the $$$ to have it certified!

www.newapproach.org has a lot of info about this (CE, not Aguilar...)

Nightbass

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. Power amps apparently don't fall into the self-awarded category, though, at least at the power levels we make. We have a lab do the certification testing, where they go over not only the safety of each product, but also things like AC line harmonics and RF emissions.

10. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok well i found a way to get $700 now but i can't find a used plx but does anyone know any thing about the Yamaha P7000S P Series II Power Amp? it seems powerful but i don't know if it well be good.

but her is the link:
    http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-P7000S.html

thanks,
    MO

11. i just got my Carvin DCM1500...i got an INCREDIBLE deal on it...it has every option i was looking for in a power amp, more over head than any person would ever need, and it's built like a tank!

the only thing is, this sucker is HEAVY around 35 lbs

12. I currently run a SVP pre-amp through a Mackie M-1400i Power amp for my larger bass rig. I think I paid about $549 from a mail order catalog from Interstate Music Supply. I am very happy with it's performance. I run this set-up through some processers, and then into two SWR cabinets: one 6 x 10" cab and one 2 x 15" . So running these two cabinets with the amp set for dual mono, and there is plenty of headroom. WOuld definitely be under your $600 budget. Good luck.