Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Choose Between These Two Fretless Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeonD, Nov 2, 2002.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a fretless bass and based upon what's currently available used, I think I've narrowed my search down to one of two basses. The problem is that I'm not going to be able to play either before buying. So I'm asking for help.

The two basses are a Turner Electroline with Piezo pickups and two soapbars or an Elrick NJS with an ash body, maple burl top and ivorywood fingerboard. Both basses are 35 inch, fretless five strings.

My current basses are Musicman Stingray and Peavey Palaeduim played through an SWR Bass 350 and Goliath II Jr. cabinet.

My priorities in selecting this bass are an instrument that's expresive with a distinctive voice. I'm not looking for an overpowering sound but for something that will react to different playing techniques and nuances. I'm looking for something that's well built. And finally, versatility would be nice (but not at the expense of the first item).

I'll be using the new bass primarily for jazz and secondly for some easier rock.

If anyone can help me out by offering opinions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've tried a lot of fretless basses but always settle on Pedulla Buzz basses. I have a 6 with soapbars and a 5 with J/J PUs.

I've only tried two other basses that came close. The first was a Zon Sonus Custom that had Bartolini soapbars, Bart 3 band preamp and was a special order with a 35" scale neck. Very nice sounding and playing bass that was close to the Pedulla basses in tone and feel. The second was a Modulus Q6 fretless again with Bartolini PUs and electronics. A wonderful bass.

Chuck

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks for the replys.

I was hoping to keep this purely an audible decision but I guess finances need to enter in somewhere. It looks like the Turner will be about $500 less than the Elrick.

Any other optinions?

Thanks again,
    LeonD

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would go for the distinctive voice of the Turner myself. I think you have the basics you need covered in your current axes. This bass, especially since it is a fretless, should be your voice. Besides, Rick Turner is a legend in bass building. It would be aswesome to have one if his basses.