Help me choose first amp for <$250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Budslide, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Behringer BX1200

2 vote(s)
  2. Bassman 60

5 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg BA115

12 vote(s)
  4. Peavey Basic 112

3 vote(s)
  5. Ampeg BA112

6 vote(s)
  6. Other (reply w/ suggestion please)

0 vote(s)
  1. I need help deciding what amp I am going to get. This will be my first amp besides the Crate BFX25 that I am currently renting. I am going to be getting my amp of e-bay, since its cheaper.
    I need an amp that can be played easily with two other guitars, so I can jam with my friends, and hopefully can be heard over drums (not required).

I have narrowed it down to these (i think):
    Behringer BX1200
    Fender Bassman 60
    Ampeg BA115
    Peavey Basic 112
    Ampeg BA112

If you have any suggestions give them please, they will be appericated, but under $250 used
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Any of the used Peavey 115 150w combos with a Black Widow 15.
  3. I would go for the Bassman 60, i love the tone.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ampeg BA-115 all the way. awesome tone, tons of features, and loud enough to be heard over a drummer.
  5. Ampeg BA115, it will last you for a while and you can use it for small gigs too!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Look for a good used amp. Heck, for $250 I've purchased a good used Acoustic 450 Head and an easily repaired SWR Goliath II (from music stores none the less). If you keep your eyes and ears open and don't rush into anything, you'll be amazed at what can turn up on the used market.
  7. Black widow is unbeatable..... They SAY max of like 250 watts, but i've thrown 450 at it plenty of times.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bassman 60. My friend bought one and, I'm embarrassed to say, I like the tone better than my SWR Workingman's 12.
  9. HOLY CRAP!!!!

oh.... i'd get a Bassman 60, only cuz i don't like ampeg. Maybe look into some used gear too!

<Used 1x12>
    <used head>
  10. user

Oct 26, 2003
    I have an Acoustic 450 head for sale. Its loud as hell.
  11. user

Oct 26, 2003
    If you're interested, I live about 10 minutes from the IL WI border. You won't even have to pay for shipping
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Go w/ the BA115, you won't regret it... I tried every amp on your list & the 115 was the ONLY one that left me WANTING it... All others, I found that I would end up making some sort of sacrifice.
  13. If I can find Bassman 100 for under $300 do you guys think that it would be the worth the money?

Also, if I get the BA115, would it be good enough to last me for a couple of years? In other words, is it loud enough to be played in a band like just for practice?
  14. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I also know where you might be able to score a rig for $250 near chicago ;), check your PM
  15. I'm not really looking to drive that far, since thats about a 3 and half hour drive. Also, I'm looking to get a combo.

I just bid on a Bassman 100 *crosses fingers*
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks for noticing.
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I voted for the Ampeg BA115. Very nice amp. Another amp that I would consider is the SWR Basic Black. These don't come up forsale very often, but if you see one they are good amps. A player at a local jam used one and had plenty of volume for the bar.
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000

Have you made any progress?
  19. well I bid on a Bassman 100 on ebay, because I really would like a 15", but I don't think I'm going to win it, it still has 7 days left on it.

Others i'm still looking at are:
    Ampeg BA112 because I can get one for $150
    Bassman 25 (is this really as loud as everyone says it is?)
    or maybe the Peavey Basic 112

I can't find any Bassman 60's used, and the Behringer just doesn't look to be a good choice, so I still need some input

thanks for asking
  20. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    I've seen used Bassman 60s in about every Music Go Round store that I visited this week... They all seem to be about $250.

The best way to win an ebay auction is to wait until the last moment to bid (i.e. snipe). Also, it's wise not to tell too may people about the auction if they're likely to be looking for the same item. Probably most of us here dabble in eBay too.

Good luck!!!