Help Me Choose My 5string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Roscoe Beck

7 vote(s)
  2. Jazz Deluxe 5

1 vote(s)
  3. L-2500

6 vote(s)
  4. Stingray 5

26 vote(s)
  5. Euro Spector

7 vote(s)
  1. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am thinking about making the Plunge to a 5 string
    I have Narrowed it down to few Basses I am Partial to L-2500
    Since I Have a L-2000 already It has to be Under 1250 give or take Out the Door I play blues,Classic Rock and R&B
    I like Bolt On's I thought About a Euro-Spector But Might be a little brite My use Thanks Folks .
  2. i've never played an L-2500.. i would love to if i had the chance, i just don't know of anywhere around that has them in stock close by. i own a sting ray five though and they're great for the type of styles you're talking about IMO.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I love the sound of my stingray5... But don't take my word for it. try these sucka's out and whatever you like the most take home
  4. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Those mentioned all have merit,but I'd suggest you track down and try one of the MTD Kingston or Heir basses before you write that check.I have a 5 and love it,and today I tried the 4 with a Maple board, very nice.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All the basses you mentioned are excellent basses. All have their +'s & -'s. I am a BIG Spector fan :D & I'd say go with the Euro Spector. <a href=""><b><font color=white>Musician's Friend</font></b></a> still has 1999 NS-5 CR's in stock (solid color & dot inalys) for $999.99!!!!!! This bass normally sells for $1499.99. This is an offer that can't be passed up!!! I bought a black one as a back up to my USA NS-5 & the sound is so close.

My second choice is a bass I want to get again. i sold it when I purchaced my USA NS-5. That bass is a G&L L-2500. :( I want to get another one but I see no need for it since I have 4 great 5 strings. (& my wife will KILL me :mad: if I come home w/a new bass. I, too, have a G&L L-2000 & I would never sell that bass, even though latley I've been playing my 5 strings.

You have a tough choice ahead, good luck!!!
  6. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I would personally go for the Stingray 5 for the versitility and solid tone. This bass can cover almost any type/style of music and is sure to last as long as you play it :). Also, IMHO the 'Ray-5 is one of the nicest looking basses around. Just my opinion though. :D Hope this helps.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars I go again...

All of those are great basses, but I'd strongly recommend you consider looking into the MTD Kingston/Heir basses for a 5. For under $600 (the Heir, the K is less), you get a great playing bass, with a B that is at least as good as (if not better) than any of those you list. Invest a few more dollars in upgrading the pickups/electronics, and it's a giant killer, still for well under a grand. This is the third thread I've posted the same basic thing to today! :eek: :D
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I like Ray5's a lot, but I think they are priced kind of high in most cases. I'm with you though on the L-2500 though Harpo, I lean towards them as well.
  9. Harpo, I know it wasn't on your list, but, give any one of the Ibanez BTBs a try; they just might surprize you.

Mike J.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How does the most singular sounding bass have the most votes? The SR5 is a great bass but would be the last on my list. If the bass sounded....

.... had a wider range of sounds, I'd have one (or two) but no matter what much you play w/the control's it's a SR5.

But if that's your thing, go for it. The bass PLAYS GREAT & FEELS GREAT!!!!!!! If you like the sound, don't listen to some crazy nut like me. :D:p
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    This is just me again.. But I think the 3-way selecter is a great add on to the SR5. Granted the tone is primarily the same, you can get some different sounds... but of course the bass is known for "its" own sound you know.. Get whatever you think suits your style of playing.. I of course love my stingray and wouldn't have anything else.. well that is a lie.. i want a lot of basses. but alas.. i am a poor college kid.. The G&L L-2500 is a cool bass.. do the electronics have shielding now?? those electronics are loud as crap...
  12. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have a 99 L-2000 and I have no noise Problems
    I am still leaning Toward The L-2500 the only thing I don't Like Is the string spacing is a little Tight . But so is the Stingray5 which I did play yestertday and I did not like It as much as I thought I think I miss th front Pick Up , but I think
    I will try it again I do have a some time to my Big 40 since it will be my birthday present and That is a few months away . But what I really want is to have Nino's wife to tell my wife why I need a Sadowsky . Nice Bass Nino !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to thalk everbody for their help
  13. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    You might want to look into the Carvin LB75 or the LB75-P, the LB75 will run you about $720 and the LB75-P about $870. I own a LB75-P and it's and outstanding bass, one of the best investments I've made in equipment.
  14. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Look for a used Modulus 5. Tight, loud, cutting B.
    I've tried all those other basses you've mentioned and haven't really been impressed by any of them.
    Would like to try those new kingstons though.