1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose my bass fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hypercaffium, May 29, 2018.

1. Hi,
    I'm looking for a dedicated bass fuzz. I never used one before, I usually get my fuzz tones using my Syntax Error, which is a digital multi-effects pedal, basically. The combination of digital fuzz and bit crusher with clean blend gives me the kind of fuzz tone I have in my mind: raspy, nasty, degraded, almost synthy. I also use this effect in combination with octave down and other effects to get synth tones.
    The "problem" I have with my current setup is that 1) bottom end is not always enough, depending on the pedal settings, 2) the fuzz engine seems to react like an octavia/octave fuzz when playing in the upper register. This isn't necessarely bad, but sometimes tracking can be difficoult and I don't need that octave up always.

I'm looking for an analog bass fuzz (not an octave up fuzz) that is capable of similar tones and after reading some posts and watching videos I fell in love with the Malekko Diabolik. Even if it's just a fuzz and not a bit crusher, the signal can become so distorted that the result is very similar.
    I've read a lot of posts by people complaining about how loud the pedal is and how difficoult seem to keep the effect at unity gain and manage fuzz and clean volumes. Is there something similar around?
    Thanks!

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If you like t, why not get a Malekko?

vegas532 likes this.
  3. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I've repeated this in many threads, but one of my favorite "synth" sounds is the Diabolik (Assmaster or any brassmaster clone, really) going into a big muff. I would specifically recommend the EHX Green Russian. If anything you will end up with an excess of bass, unless you turn down the clean of the Diabolik! And you can tame the massive output of the Diabolik as you would be using the muff as the output volume control.

4. I explained my doubts in my first post.
    I can't have two fuzzes in my pedalboard, I don't have space for them. Can you suggest similar pedals with a more manageable output volume?

5. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Unfortunately none that I have direct experience with that could compare with the brassmaster sound; however the SolidGoldFX 76 Octave Fuzz has been on my radar. Check it out there are some good soundclips on youtube!!

CunniMingus likes this.
  6. I didn't think the Diabolik was an octave fuzz, honestly. In all the videos I've watched I never noticed it, probably because they wren't playing in the upper register, I don't know.

7. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    yep, although it's a dirty octave, for sure.

CunniMingus likes this.
  8. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
  9. I watched a couple of videos. It sounds great but it's not as raspy/synthy/degraded as the Diabolik. I'm wondering if the Source Audio Aftershock can be tweaked to sound like that, maybe?

10. jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Not sure although many swear by the Aftershock. If nothing else a great tool for exploring different sounds.

LowActionHero and CunniMingus like this.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The Diobolik is a B:ASSMASTER for the most part, just in a smaller pkg and with a couple less tonal options. But is still the same pedal overall.

Have you looked at the DOD Carcosa? It doesn't have octave in it but it can do gated fuzz or not. It can sound very synthy if needed and the low end is very good. I would def check it out.

Loring, johnk_10 and CunniMingus like this.
  12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh, and the newer EHX Green Russian is really great too. no octave, it's a muff through and through. I have and use one that has a bright switch and mids mods and it can sound pretty synthy too if I wanted it to and still holds true to it's original self.

zapped777, BillMason and CunniMingus like this.
  13. I was looking at the COG Tarkin Fuzz, which is based on a Green Muff.

Bassheart365 likes this.
  14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have a Darkglass Duality Fuzz that I swear by. It blends two types and fuzz and has a clean blend. The options are endless.

CunniMingus likes this.
  15. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    You might also consider the Iron Ether Oxide or the 3Leaf Doom. The first is an octave fuzz with lots of options based off the Brassmaster. The second is a unique synthy fuzz that is very dynamic and touch sensitive.

There are some solid demos and reviews of each on YouTube. They both have a nice clean blend, and bring some unique characteristics to the table. I think the Oxide might get you some better heavier fuzz tones, where the Doom/You're Doom is more focused on the synthy side.

WaldoNova and CunniMingus like this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd recommend you try it for yourself before granting too much weight to other people's reviews.

Btw: I personally like the 4 eyes fuzz.
    Very versatile and fun and useful!

CunniMingus likes this.
  17. Shoe Pixel. A bass fuzz that meets your parameters

CunniMingus likes this.
  18. It does, indeed! This is what I'd call "sputtery". I'm sending an email to CJM Venter and I'll ask for some infos. I'm still trying to understand if his company is based in the EU, definitely not in the USA from what I've read.
    Do you have the pedal? Can I ask you a couple of questions?

jazznrick likes this.
  19. RaniBrandt

RaniBrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
  20. ronaldpdbrandt likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021