Help me Choose my beater bass URGENT HELP NEEDED !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RogerTheAlien, Dec 28, 2007.

1. I'm in Montreal Canada and I've needed a backup bass for a little while and guess what ... YUP my Gibson T-bird is in the shops for a neck that crapped out on me ...

So here are my choices ( all pretty cheap ) and I need advice, why you would - wouldn't chose them

Celebrity Ovation Bass ( Electro - Acoustic )

Hofner Icon Bass

Schecter Stileto Bass

Warwick Corvette 5 Rock bass

OLP 5 String Bass

Mark Hoppus Fender Bass

All Help is VASTLY appreciated, if you've had any experience with those and can give me a clue on what to expect or why chose one instead of the other I appreciate it !

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a beater, just pick whichever one feels best in your hands.

3. I know that, but I'm purchasing it from MF, thats why I nee any and all help from you guys !

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    for the money, i think youll do best with the schecter. they feel really good (i wouldnt buy any less than the custom or studio though, like i wouldnt get the omen, stiletto elite, etc.) and the studio especially sounds really good, especially for that price. :)

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get an Ibanez! :) IME they are far better quality than Schecters, but you can still use them as beaters and not feel bad about it. :D

6. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Get the Ovation so you can play around the house without the amps, it is a beater after all.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    A friend of mine from Ireland, Michael Ivory, is the Guitarist for the band Leper Messiah. His bassist at the time used an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird bass. I've listened to several of their recordings and the bass seemed to handle the job quite well. It might take leass time to get used to it than some of the other basses you listed, and they sell for $299.00.

Good Luck! ;)

8. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i just picked up an OLP mm2 two weeks ago, and i love it. i've read things on here about folks digging the 5's, too. i don't know if i would buy one without playing it first, as i played two the night i bought mine, one was terrible, mine was awesome.

9. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    It all depends on what sound you want... each of the choices sound different from each other.

If you are looking for a good back-up beater bass... I'm with Hawii Islander... go for the Epiphone Goth Thunderbird. It'll have about the same feel as your T-Bird.

If you are looking for something different...
    -The Warwick Rock Bass is a Great bass that doesn't break the bank.
    -The Fender Mark Hoppus isn't all it's cracked up to be... IMO an average "P" bass.

10. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I haven't tried one, but I think the Schecter Stiletto Studio's are impressive based on looks, reviews I've read and youtube recordings. It seems very versitle

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Do yourself a BIG favor and buy a used Peavey USA made bass from here or Ebay. You can get a nice one for $100 - $250 and they are much better than the models you listed.

12. 0darkstrike

0darkstrike

Dec 3, 2007
    I just picked up a mark hoppus sig the other day. I love it but I play alot of punk and i play alot of songs using the high fretts on the G and D. I would say the OLP sounds like what your looking for:)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021