1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose my distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tombaker, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hey,

So, I've got a PT2 with a Boss ME-50B, Boss DD-20, Boss CEB-3 and MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and just realized that I never use these effects except for songs by other bands that I can play. So why keep them? I'd rather put the money towards something else.

So what I'm thinking is this: PT Mini with Korg Pitchblack, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, Sansamp Bass Driver Programmable, Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

I'm not entirely sure on the Sansamp BDP though. The first time I tried it out i didn't think it was beefy enough and was a bit too crazy. This might have been because of the settings I was using though.

My main genre I would be playing would be deathcore/hardcore. I'm wanting a distortion which can be a kind of tubey, silky sound which will be on pretty much all the time. I also want it to be able to deliver a crunchy, heavy tone like you would hear from a lot of metal bassists.

I have a Warwick Corvette Rockbass and a Warwick Profet 3.2 with Warwick 410 cab.

Please don't reccommend a Sansamp VT Bass because I owned one and sold it within a few weeks.

Ill try out the Sansamp BDP again soon and have a better go of it and see if it's the right distortion for me; otherwise, fire away some good distortions. Price doesnt really matter

Cheers,

Tom

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The only pedal I can think of based on your description is an ebs metaldrive. the ebs website has sound samples of that pedal.

http://www.bass.se/

another pedal that I can recommend that has a good grinding distortion sound is an mxr bass d.i+ and a boss md-2 mega distortion.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    have you tried the hm2 on a bass?
    the MD2 is good but will get lost in a dense mix.
    perhaps the Bass big muff may be worth a listen, alternatively there are a ton of tuned muffs out there - supercollider, swollen pickle etc......
    the metaldrive does seem to fit most of your criteria - the soundclips at ebs are don by Entombed's current bassist. That should help a little!!

4. i love my bass big muff. it's more versatile than you might think.

5. Empire Prod

Empire Prod

Jan 29, 2010
    My favorite distortion for natural mellow overdrive that is more or less a part of your tone is the EBS Valve Drive. It sounds really great. There are a couple of downsides though.

1. It takes up a lot of room
    2. It runs with a power adapter at 12v
    3. This is the most important downside and a reason why some people never get the most out of this pedal. The EQ is very strange in it's operation and the manual is not as clear as it could be about it. The low and high knobs are boost only so with the knob all the way to the left it is flat (Not at noon), and the mid is cut only and so flat is all the way to the right. This is messed up because most people will set the knobs straight up at 12 o'clock as a starting point thinking that is flat and that they can cut or boost from there. Not many people try turning the bass all the way left, mids all the way right and high all the way left, but when you do it sounds great!.

Anyways I use the EBS as my main overdrive and for a more aggresive full on over the top distortion I still like vintage Big Muffs. I have a barge concepts vb-jr (wet/dry mix) pedal for each one so that I can mix in a little of the original signal. I run the Barges at 18v each.

6. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    ok, so I play in techy stoner metal hardcore band and I've done a lot of research into distortion pedals. Check out your favorite bands bass rigs and I'm pretty sure you'll come up with a few similarities.

Sansamp - Pretty much everyone from Killswitch Engage to The Dillinger Escape Plan uses the bass driver. Recording is completely different but live this is pretty common.

Big Muff - If you're into a little more experimental stuff. My band has 1 guitarist so bass gets a larger role and I perform the role that the rhythm guitar would also serve. I actually use the BBM so I can kind of fill 2 different sonic spaces.

ODB-3 - I'm also probably going to be getting one of these guys. For hardcore and metal, I think this is pretty standard. Gives you a crunch and presence that is pretty unmistakable. People tend to complain about it alot, but it really fits into a band situation perfectly. There's a reason everyone uses it.

There's obviously many other options, these are the 3 standard ones. Tube Screamer is another option but is less used since you'll need to have a modded one for bass. Ratt's are also used but I tend to see them blended and not as standard for live rigs as opposed to studio use.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MIX. I can't stress this enough. The settings I use while we play end up being way different than when I'm alone.

7. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    the boss blues driver makes a surprisingly good bass distortion pedal.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had the Sansamp programmable and while cool, they still all "sound" like a Sansamp. You may or may not want that.

I'm a more Tubescreamer kinda guy, so in addition to the OD channel on my Mesa I like a modded TS9DX tone. The FullTone Bassdriver is pretty good at that.

To be honest, the Aguilar AGRO circuit is pretty rad. I wish they'd put it in a pedal and not just the mini-rack version.

9. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition and a Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI is all your need.

10. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    You'll be happy to know they have put the AGRO circuit in a pedal and it should be in the Bass stores in the next few weeks! :) I absolutely love the overdrive/distortion on my AG500!

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Whoa, really? That's incredible news. I've been waiting a long time for that one! :)

12. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Haha! Yep, there's a seperate thread on it plus the specs and photo are in the 2010 Aguilar catalogue! Much awesomeness!

13. I owned a bass XXL last year. didnt really like it. I dont think overdrive's my thing really. I think distortion and muff are what i want. pretty kean on the Way Huge Swollen Pickle for my muff. still not sure about distortion though the EBS sounds promissing.

I think it's time to piss off some music stores and try out as many as possible :smug:

thanks for your input guys! will check out most, if not all of the suggested pedals :)

14. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Metal Zone...

The first distortion I tried on bass that didn't suck.
    The EQ on it is pretty good for getting a sound you can use.
    It may be a good addition to the pickle. Don't know how those two will play together though. :meh:

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX