Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose my first 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I have only been playing bass for a year and a half. I've practiced a lot and became pretty decent in that time though, and am playing in a rock band that is starting to do very well (we sound like a mix between Alice in Chains and Bush). I currently have a nice Ampeg Classic 350 Watt bass rig, a Yamaha RBX460, and a Carvin LB-70.

I'm starting to brainstorm options for my first 5 string. What should I be looking at? I traditionally haven't been a fan of Fender for some reason. The Ernie Ball's look sweet but there are no dealers near me to test them out....the only brands stores sell around here are Washburn, Fender, Yamaha, Dean and Ibanez. Any suggestions on what to look for? Brands I should consider, etc.?

Thanks

2. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I had the same dilemma...which 5-string to buy. Well, there is no single "right" answer; at best you'll get a bunch of opinions. Here's what I did: I went to every guitar shop in my area (about 15 stores). I tried everything from Ibanez, to Fender, to Yamaha, to Gibson, to Warwick, Modulus, Smith, Pedulla blah blah blah. I discovered that the very best way to HEAR what the bass sounds like in a shop is to take along a pair of decent ear-covering headphones and sample the basses thru at least two different amps. I found some basses I liked alot, and some I didn't care for at all. I also discovered that the ones I tended to like the most were expensive ($3000+). While I could afford it, I couldn't justify it given that my band isn't my life's work. While doing my "search", I had the opportunity to travel to Los Angeles. While there, I dropped into a Carvin shop and tried out the LB75 (5-string). It was love at first pluck. I found the bass for me...and the price was right. I ordered an LB75W as soon as I could. The moral of the story? Try 'em all out -- everything you can get your hands on. You WILL find that special bass that'll just grab ya! Trust your ears and your fingers. You'll know.

Best of luck!!

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I bought my first 5 string after playing for 8 years. It took 3 years of trying basses out until I found the one I liked.... G&L!! I liked Musicmans, but I didn't want to pay 1300 dollars for a big sheet of plastic. Bassnw.com has a bunch of good ones for cheap (around 800 bucks). I got bitten by the G&L bug... I'm soon going to replace my 4 string with an ASAT.

I play rock/emo/metal/hardcore/jazz music (yes, that is all in one band)... and the L-1505 gave me the sound to break a wall of distorted guitars

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    My first bass was a yamaha 5 string, bbn5 cheap cheap cheap.

Great bass to learn on, crappy sound. Check out used musicmans, or the carvins. I play a musicman and love it. The carvins were, well they were carvins and I wanted a musicman but they both have a decent sound. I just wanted the musicman sound more then the carvin.

6. Listen man I know everyone always tries to rag on Ibanez but if you want a nice 5-string bass that's not too expensive and that's a great all around bass that suits your style perfectly then check out an Ibanez EDC700. It's one of those new basses that's made of luthite. It has a great sound and even though the pickups aren't the greatest, it's cheap enough that you can afford to replace them
    So go try one out. If you don't like it then forget it . After all, it's just my opinion.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It would help if you would make your budget clear. Assiuming you're on a limited budget, I would recommend that you check out what Peavey has to offer. My first 5 string many years ago was a Peavey and it served me very well.

I really dislike Ibanez basses, but that's only my personal preference, they make good solid instruments and are worth a look. They are very good for the money, though I personally don't like the style. You should check them out.

8. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    If you can, buy used... you'll get a better bang for the buck

9. I really like the Musicman Stingray 5 because they are so dang bright, but I have a G&L L-2500 that is absolutely incredible.......Bottom line is you have to make the choice. If you do not want to buy something without playing it I totally understand, but don't only try the bass on the best amp in the store, check it out on a moderate amp that way you will know if it is the amp or guitar.....

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    See my reply on your other/simmilar post.

11. Well, if you're not into Fender, you're excluding the Roscoe Beck 5 which is fantastic...but to each his own.

Of the other candidates, I would recommend a MM Stingray 5. I haven't played a Carvin 5 string, but I would consider the BB75 myself. Nice bass!