help me choose my new pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by schmittuml, May 22, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    im looking for an envelope filter (leaningtoward pigtronix)..... i also want a good overdrive/distortion, a chorus pedal, reverb, and maybe a few others.......any suggestions?
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    For the filter: Have you looked at the Moogerfooger Low-Pass Filter? It's expensive as anything, but it's the nicest sounding and most versatile one I've heard.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'll recommend analogman clone chorus.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Moog never includes Bass clips. Most manufacturers never seem to include bass clips. Makes me mad. :mad:

5. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    bump for more ideas :bassist:
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    can you elaborate on what you're looking for in an envelope filter?
    Up filter/down filter/auto q? Wet/Dry blend? True bypass?

The same goes for your other pedal types. Otherwise any suggestions are basically shots in the dark, there are plenty of good envelope filters that might not fit *your* needs.

Also very useful is the Search function, if you search for overdrive, distortion, chorus etc you'll find hundreds of pages on this topic. Each of these 'what distortion/chorus/filter/salami should I buy' questions has been asked and answered hundreds of times before.

As a note: There is generally no *best* in a given category, although there is almost certainly a 'best for you' - what that is depends on what your requirements and tastes are.

So, how does that help you when reading reviews from people you don't know on an internet board? Try and identify people who hear things similar to how you do, that helps narrow down the wheat from the chaff.

For example, I personally really dislike the sound of the Boss ODB-3 pedal. Doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people, some people swear by it. Personally, I swore AT it. Boom boom.. But if I see someone raving about that pedal, then I obviously have different tastes to that person and so it's unlikely that I'll try another od/dist pedal out based on their recommendation.