1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose my next bass: Sire-Sterling-G&L-Ibanez-Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skullbass, Mar 2, 2019.

1. skullbass

skullbass

Jan 17, 2019
    I'm a begginer with an Ibanez SR300e. Wish to upgrade to another 4 strings.
    I like the versatility to get a single coil and full hambucker but something's missing...
    When I listen to some P bass in particular. I'm not into only jazz sound, so i'm looking toward a PJ config or a humbucker with bypass.

Will play mostly 70's prog rock (King Crimson, PF, Genesis), new wave (Police, Tones on Tail and Bauhaus) and Alt 90's rock & grunge (Primus, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, RATM).
    So I guess I wish something polyvalent with vintage and modern tones ?

Two groups to choose from (please comment on the best match / groups and specific bass....and why !):

Thin necks-semi light body
    * Ibanez SR650e
    * Sire P7 (alder or ash ?)
    * Fender Aerodyne
    * Sterling SB14 (but where do I rest my thumb ?)

Beefier neck-heavier body
    * G&L Tribute L-2000
    * Yamaha BB734a
    * Sterling Ray34 (but where do I rest my thumb ?)

Thanks !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    G&L or Sterling Ray34

3. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    I'm a big (big) fan of the G&L Tribute L2000 basses.
    For the '90s vibe (esp. RHCP and RATM) it will be an excellent tool (not to mention Tool!)
    Now granted, Flea and Tim C. used Stingrays, as did/does Tony Levin in Crimson - but the L2k
    can deliver a very comparable tone to a 'Ray with the addition of LOTS of other tonal options -
    it can also do a convincing P-style tone, an almost Wal-like 'piano' sound, and more.

Not to knock the others on the list, but IMO (based on owning both an L2k, several J-style basses, 3 Stingrays etc.)
    the G&L is the most versatile instrument on that list. They're very powerful-sounding basses with a whole lot to say.

Good luck!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The L2000 out of all of those.

That being said, you can slap a thumb rest on anything. Many have.

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I tend to agree

basslifter, skullbass and Crusher47 like this.
  6. I have an SB-15 prototype and I love it.

skullbass likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    L2000...no contest
    Mine has a thin neck and weighs 7 3 lbs! 28kjbs4.

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

You gotta admit that you have a kind of unicorn there. Lol

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    A number of good basses on that list, but I would say the L2000 or the Sire P7. (only problem with the Sire is it's not a light bass, from what I understand, it's heavy).
    As mentioned you can always get a thumbrest for $2 or less on ebay for the Sterlings. I just got a Sterling Ray34 myself, I love the bass but it's not as versatile as some of the basses on your list.

10. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Take it as an opportunity to work on your floating thumb technic ;)

But I would go with the G&L anyway.

11. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    The G&L L-2000 is the most sonically versatile of all these. You can’t go wrong with one of these

Alan Scharrer and skullbass like this.
  12. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    I would take Sterling Ray34. Go with G&L if versality is also you are looking for.

skullbass likes this.
  13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Aerodyne for looks

14. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Aerodynes are light, but the body is made of pretty soft wood. It will dent very easily.

skullbass and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'd say L-2000, because they're insanely versatile and quite beefy.

Alan Scharrer and skullbass like this.
  16. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Ray 34 or G&l would be my pick.

MynameisMe and skullbass like this.
  17. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Sterling

skullbass likes this.
  18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    From what you play, the yamaha bb basses would be a good choice. the bb735a can give you passive and active sounds with a flip of a switch. it's vintage sounding and versatile. the yamaha trbx basses would be another good choice if you want a different option. it's considerably more modern sounding compared to the bb basses, but still great sounding bass guitars to own.

skullbass likes this.
  19. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    Ibáñez 650 Will not take you into vintage sound unless you put dead strings on it. Despite its pickup configuration, it sounds bright and modern. The eq is not well configured, as the frequency chosen for the high and mid pots are not the one needed to tame the sound.

Have you considered Cort basses? They have good models in the price range you are looking for.
    A GB 74 would take you into vintage and modern sounds thanks to its neck single and bridge big splittable humbucker. I own one and it's a fantastic bass. Even compared to much higher priced ones.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    skullbass likes this.
  20. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I find the Musicman pickup spot very comfortable as a thumb rest and the spot almost ideal for plucking, not as hard as plucking over a typical neck pickup and not as loose as playing over a P pickup.

I agree with many that a G&L L2000 would be a good versatile choice, BUT I'd take a current gen. Schecter CV4 (passive) over it any day, can really deliver a variety of P and J tones plus some of its own, some vintage, some modern with enough extra edge to even please a Musicman guy like me (added punch, aggressiveness, the sort of burpy lo-mid "magic" that gives the bass authority in a mix) and state of the art playability and features (lite tuners, carbon fibre neck reinforcement) you don't expect to find in its price bracket (~ the same as the L2000 Tribute). Just not as light as many of your choices (not too heavy either). I own the 5 string version and overall it's simply the best twin humbucker bass I've ever owned (even prefer it to a Peavey T-40 I've had).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019