1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose my next bass: Sire-Sterling-G&L-Ibanez-Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skullbass, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    The Fender does the passive P/J thing extremely well with a great neck and little weight. These are underrated in my opinion.

I am going to suggest the 650e gets you where you want to go. The active / passive switch and the oh so cool reverse Split cool will let you do passive P for KC and PF. The preamp and mid switch pushes you into MM territory for your 90s fix.

I do not like the BB neck. It is not the fact that it’s chunky. I don’t know what it is but I have tried several and always put them down quickly. I know the G&Ls and Sires get a ton of love on Talkbass and the folks who have commented above know their gear. But I have never actually played a Sire and the only G&L L2000s I have had my hands on were used and abused. Rich full sound from the G&L pups for sure tho. I owned a Ray and never bonded with it.

You did mention a P / humbucker. The tallman 300 has that combination and it sounds huge. I get along with that chunky neck, the pups sound great on detent, and the preamp has a wide range to it. It is also half the price of the others on your list.

For my money the Fender and the Ibbys are where it’s at. At the end of the day you have a great list going. Insert standard “go play each and take the one that feels right home with you” comment here.

Good luck!

skullbass likes this.
  2. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    This is true. This is a bright bass. No P with flats from the 650. Not sure that is what the OP is looking for tho.

AstralBirth, skullbass and Oly Spart like this.
  3. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Sire fanboy here, so I’d have to say the P7. L2000 also a great choice with tons of tones at your fingertips. Happy hunting

skullbass and tyohars like this.
  4. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    You should add a poll for voters...

Anyways I say G&L for sure. You can also look for a used USA model for more neck and finish options

Chrome Dome and skullbass like this.
  5. oren

oren Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I haven’t played all of those mentioned, but I can say from experience that Sire offers a lot of bass for the price point, and their preamp (plus active/passive switching) brings a lot of versatility in sound.

skullbass likes this.
  6. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    For what you are playing.... I'd say definitely G&L!

Alan Scharrer and skullbass like this.
  7. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    I haven't played all of those, but I wouldn't consider my Aerodyne beefy by any stretch. Mine feels very light, I've never weighed it, but it's nicely balanced and I can play it for hours. I consider the neck fairly slim and very fast.

I just love the range of sounds I get out of it. Solo the P, and I don't think you could really tell it's not a regular Fender P in a mix. Solo the bridge, and it sounds like a jazz soloing the bridge. I usually have the P dimed and adjust the bridge pup to dial in the tone I need for any particular song. I play everything from old-school Motown to Zep, fusion, blues, and I've just started a project that even includes a little country to broaden my horizons. My Aerodyne handles it all and I get a lot of compliments about my tone. (Unfortunately more than I get about my playing!)

I play it a lot, nearly every day, and I would not consider this a fragile bass. And it is one handsome axe!

20181215_145056.

8. The Aerodyne has a very slim neck and a light (basswood) body

DrThumpenstein and skullbass like this.
  9. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Just a heads up. The Yamaha BB and Ray34 have VERY different necks. The BB is more like a jazz but more comfortable. The Ray34 is a lot like a P neck. I had a Ray34 and had to sell it because of the neck profile. While I like thin necks, I find the Ibanez necks too thin. I love the Yamaha BB series and the new ones addressed the very few flaws in the BB424/5 series. I thought I’d never replace my BB425x but then I played a BB435. They have huge sonic versatility for a passive bass.

skullbass likes this.
  10. L2K, for sure.

Alan Scharrer and skullbass like this.
  11. skullbass

skullbass

Jan 17, 2019
    Wow! Damned.....
    So many useful tips and respectful opinions!

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  12. Beat me to it...I bought one built in '02-'03 after GASing for it for 3 months. Very versatile, HUGE tone, switches for passive/active/active bright boost, & series/parallel. I've been able to coax pretty convincing versions of all of Leo's greatest hits from it, & it plays very nicely. It also has it's own thing going, & that thing is good. Did I mention it has HUGE tone!! My band mates all love it too!

That said, I also like the Ray 34. I used to own a "SUB" version & liked it for about 4 months, but actually traded it in on the G&L. If I had one of the Ray 34's, I wouldn't have traded it. They are better than the SUB version, & actually are close enough to the real StingRay I owned years ago that if I was in the market again, I'd buy the Ray 34/35

...also, thumb rests...cheap, easy to install...

skullbass likes this.
  13. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    G&L SB-2 is a P/J with jazz width neck. The shape of the body is really comfortable to me as well. If you can get lucky and score a reasonably light one, it's a near perfect bass IMO.

skullbass likes this.
  14. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    As someone who owns the Ibanez sr655E, I can definitely say it CAN do a vintage sound. You need to EQ it obviously, but the amazing P pickup + tone knob rolled down can do the trick well enough for me and my purposes. As others have said it does the modern thing incredibly well, and anything in between.

My vote goes to the 650E.

15. TheDayMan

TheDayMan

Jun 7, 2015
    Seattle
    On the pickup.

skullbass likes this.
  16. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    How do you like the neck on your Ibanez? How does playing it *feel*? You have to be aware of how beefy a neck you like. The Ibanez SR neck is one of the slimmest, thinnest on the planet. I personally love it, and nothing plays as fast and effortlessly as it does (at least in the 5-string world -- I've had an Elite Jazz Bass V and I'm on my second MusicMan, and yet my modded Ibanez SR4005 remains my number 1 because it's just so stupidly easy to play).

Unpopular opinion? If you don't like the way you sound, unless all you're doing is home studio recording and you're always going DI, buy a good amp. This will have a much more drastic effect on your tone than changing your bass. Try a Mesa Subway, an Aguilar Tone Hammer, a Markbass Little Mark... into a nice 2x10 or 4x10 cab, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Think of it this way: if I had the choice of playing a concert with one of the following equipment sets (assuming mic'd amps so wattage isn't a problem):

- Option 1: Squier Affinity Precision Bass, Ampeg SVT, Ampeg 8x10 cab
    - Option 2: Victor Wooten's very own Fodera Yin-Yang, Fender Rumble 25 combo amp

I guarantee you I'd sound much better with option 1.

skullbass likes this.
  17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    +1

skullbass likes this.
  18. G&L L-2000

skullbass likes this.
  19. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The Aerodyne will most likely be lighter than the Sire

skullbass likes this.
  20. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I fixed your typos. I would go with the sixth option and regret it thinking that I should've gone with the first or second option or maybe the seventh one.

skullbass likes this.