1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose my next bass: Sire-Sterling-G&L-Ibanez-Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skullbass, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    I own a 655 and string spacing is 1.6 mm. That's why I said it's narrow.
    If it's 1.9 on the 4 strings model, yes it's comfortable for any style.

skullbass likes this.
  2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I own an Ibanez SR650 in antique brown and those CND pickups are great, plus the bass is very comfortable to play being as it is really light and the neck is ridiculously thin.

I also own a couple of Sterling Ray 34s and although they are heavier and the necks are thicker, it is still a very comfortable bass to play. They also have that Stingray tone which easily cuts through a band mix, but can sound a bit nasally alone at home.

And I also own a couple of G&L Tribute M2000s and those are my favorite. They feel very similar to the Sterling Ray 34s, but the power and tone is addicting. So my pick would easily be the G&L.

3. skullbass

skullbass

Jan 17, 2019
    Why choosing M2000 instead of L2000? Why are they your favorite?

Wicked G likes this.
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I have been a G&L guy since 1986 play 2500s now so my vote is always G&L
    Duke

5. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I liked the tone control layout (don't care for passive), I got a good deal on one and really liked the style of it (Tribute M2000 GTB) and after hearing it, with some Cryogenic Blue steel strings, I was immediately hooked and started looking for a Tribute M2000 GTS.

In comparing it with my Sterling Ray 34's the G&L just sounded so much more muscular. It still has that sort of aggressive tone as the Sterling, but without the nasal qualities. Don't get me wrong the Ray34 is still a nice bass and I am currently thinking of getting the Ray 34HH, but now I totally understand all the G&L love.:cool:
    IMAG0507. IMAG0510. IMAG0299.

skullbass likes this.